Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blueberries with male flowers only?  (Read 6385 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Blueberries with male flowers only?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 07:03:46 pm »
Womble - you are not the only one... I have stuck a self-seeded little plant into a pot (from another pot) last autumn, to see what it is.... as it didn't look like any of my usual weeds and I am quite keen to grow trees from seed... guess what, turns out to be goat willow! It will have a place somewhere, as I use it to branch-feed the goats.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 08:15:55 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:  …. Ok now I've stopped laughing.....  don't destroy …. all livestock love them ….. and they grow where nothing else but rushes grow....  goats and cows will destroy fences to get to them …..  cut and feed to anything ….. make tree hay ……  is medicinal for livestock too    (pain killer I think?)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 11:13:56 am »
I've just been on a woodland walk with my friend who took the cuttings originally.

Lots of "look mate, there's *another* blueberry tree - we'll have to come back and pick the berries in July".

He was not amused. But I was!  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 04:48:13 pm »
I've just been on a woodland walk with my friend who took the cuttings originally.

Lots of "look mate, there's *another* blueberry tree - we'll have to come back and pick the berries in July".
He was not amused. But I was!  :roflanim:
:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Gardners Cottage

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2020, 02:13:23 am »
[member=2128]Womble[/member]

Hi mate!

Blueberries is generally not grafted and propagating from cuts it is the right thing to do! i.e you wont risk to 'generate' spurious unproductive plants!
For blueberries it is all about Ph and root contraints.
They like very acidic soild, which is almost impossible to achieve in soil well drained due to the general wash out and leakage! I had a similar experience, where, planting in ground as it did 'sterilise' the plant.
Next year I have returned to pot.. and it did thrive. I got a plant mate 'later flowering' and the bridgeing between seasons is perfect! This give both plants more chances! Also leave on the top some odd conifer leaves, cones for extra acidity! This works actually great! Managed to crop 3Kg from each 3 years potted plant last year! I was in a suburban place and wildlife did contribute but not massively!!

As I got new garden, previously established plants only produce 2-3 dots (From wood I believe they are 6 years +). The reason behind this is 1) age of wood. Young wood 2 year old is the best option. 2) acidy of soil 3) pollination.. they can thrive up north... I am in Scotland  and although you are slightly norther then me climate is similar.

Overall dont put in polytunnel.. they dont need it and I believe it is actually worst (put tomatoes and courgettes! :))

If you still get willows make baskets and sell them.. lol!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 12:29:36 pm »
The tip about using conifer leaves works for strawberries too - they love a coniferous mulch  :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: .

I shall try them under my blueberries now I have some pines.  Thanks [member=195911]Gardners Cottage[/member]
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2020, 01:16:01 pm »
Well, I took the plunge and cut down the big "blueberry" bush in the orchard and dragged it out to the boggy bit of our field. Then I took the branches off one by one and stuck them in the ground - 25 different cuttings in all!

I figure if they grow into bushes or trees, I'm happy, and if the sheep eat them or the cuttings don't take, that's also fine. Either way, it will be interesting to see what happens next!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2020, 03:46:27 pm »
Womble, you might want to strip the leaves off your "cuttings" while they are trying to produce some roots ! 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 04:49:38 pm »
Oh, ok [member=152775]arobwk[/member] ! I did say at the start that I know nothing.

How many of the leaves? all of them?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 04:53:08 pm »
Oh, ok [member=152775]arobwk[/member] ! I did say at the start that I know nothing.

How many of the leaves? all of them?
Usually it's bare sticks of willow that are planted so yes, all of them
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2020, 07:04:02 pm »
Fair enough!

Wouldn't it be funny if I killed all the willow though. I honestly thought that was impossible!

Then again, I did once manage to burn a pot noodle, so....

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 10:34:45 am »
Or cut half the tops off and stick them in water, Stripping the bottom leaves off so they don't rot? Put in a cool shady place and they will root, then you have even more ????
Then maybe just leave a few leaves on the stems in the ground? Would agree too many leaves on would suck more moisture than stems could deal with, but willow does seem to survive most treatment ?.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2020, 11:10:53 am »
Try some upside down David  :eyelashes:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2020, 04:03:48 pm »
Or just pressed length ways into the ground, instant (almost)  fedge  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2020, 01:07:57 pm »
Willow will grow whatever you do to it  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS