Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fence Posts  (Read 5283 times)

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
Re: Fence Posts
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 09:23:25 pm »
How do you leave the posts in creosote for a year?  Especially if you have a large number of them? Doesn't the creosote start to evaporate?

captainmark

• Joined Dec 2017
Re: Fence Posts
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2020, 10:52:15 am »
after a lot of research we used creosoted 'octoposts'.  Little more cost but if they do what they say on the tin will prove to be long lasting and value for money (which from the research i have done appears they will?). Only been in 18months so can't comment further - other than that one was broken during winter storms by a flying roof sheet - and inside was good as new. Same company also I believe provide telegraph poles - agree with other comments about these. Proper creosote is the only worthwhile treatment - others have had the useful ingredients removed!  As an option I believe people used to soak posts in waste engine oil - maybe some untreated posts and just soak the bottom bit to make the licking safe apart from tongue splinters?  :D  We also used about 90 chestnut posts untreated which a local chap swears by - time will tell. But has to be better than HC4 (etc) softwood. We have some very old chestnut paling in remarkably good condition - but obviously above ground.  last thought (but expensive - i looked!) recycled plastic posts are available.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS