Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I didn't know...  (Read 3182 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
I didn't know...
« on: March 17, 2020, 09:19:31 pm »
I didn't know MICE love chard  :rant:
I didn't know MICE would eat the heart out of planted shallots  :rant:
I didn't know MICE would eat the growing tips of onion sets  :rant:

I do know that MICE love sultanas as the bait in a MOUSETRAP  :roflanim:
We'll see what the morning brings  :excited:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: I didn't know...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 07:15:31 am »
In desperate times - mice and voles will eat anything. They also like peanut butter.

I have my camera on in the goat house to watch for the due girls.... well the rats are coming in for snacks even during the day, and guess what is eaten... the droppings! (as we are very careful with any spilt food and have metal feed bin etc etc).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 08:43:20 am »
They eat dog and cat poo too  :poo: :poo: :poo:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 12:35:10 pm »
I think rats must eat mice, because since we have got rid of our plague of rats, we now have mice instead  ::)
Two traps out last night - two corpses this morning  :yippee: :yippee: . Traps reset so we'll see how many we get in total.  We are a bit worried about accidentally trapping the wren which has been living in the tunnel over the winter, but she seems to be busy nest building now, so less likely.  Our mole catcher got 11 moles, so we'll see if we can beat that with mice.  Mr F says we should store them in the freezer for when food gets short, but I think we have enough meat on the hoof in the fields to keep us going.

Our mice are choosy enough that in the past they have rejected peanut butter, and our dogs died so no more  :poo:  available.  We have an almost infinite supply of sultanas though, so mice, be warned  :thumbsup:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 12:53:10 pm »
We're very careful where we use snap traps now since we killed two robins and had to take a trap off the nose of a toad. Our problem is long haired short tailed field voles. They ate our beetroot, leeks and carrots and won't take peanut butter. They won't go into human traps either, so we're a bit stuck.

'If you have mice you haven't got rats' was what an old country boy told me. So far he's been correct.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 01:59:15 pm »
We had a rst coming inside our shop - made nest inside box of knitting wool!
We cleaned everything up. Moved all stuff around and got traps but nothing. We put a commercial plug in noise making device that's scares rats and mice away. So far it's been very good. Not sure if you can put it outside though. You could inside a greenhouse or polytunnel I guess.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 07:15:13 am »
We're very careful where we use snap traps now since we killed two robins and had to take a trap off the nose of a toad. Our problem is long haired short tailed field voles. They ate our beetroot, leeks and carrots and won't take peanut butter. They won't go into human traps either, so we're a bit stuck. 

You do know that human traps are illegal?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 09:07:05 am »
In desperate times - mice and voles will eat anything. They also like peanut butter.

In desperate times - we will eat anything. Maybe mice and voles (best hone your rodent trapping).  :coat:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 10:26:51 am »

In desperate times - we will eat anything. Maybe mice and voles (best hone your rodent trapping).  :coat:
I am not too worried about the situation for the humans just yet, I have about 35 sheep in the field... and the freezers are pretty full. More concerned about animal feed right now...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 12:29:16 pm »
Two more corpses this morning  :yippee: :yippee:   Maybe I could tan the skins and make a pair of gloves  ;D

Is there a problem with animal feed? We had bought a load the day before the clamp down was announced, which might be enough to take us through until the situation settles a bit.

Our problem is getting fresh fruit and veg, as it's that lean time in the garden.  We broke all the shoots off our stored potatoes, so they'll last a bit longer, and each time I cook some I do a double amount and freeze the rest for once they are over and before the new ones are ready (not planted yet)

Also no eggs  ??? .  I'm hoping it was caused by the poor wet weather, as our few hens are looking very fit and well so should be laying  :chook:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 02:35:42 pm »
Oh, since OH is now working from home we have an egg overload here... but the same problems re fresh veg and fruit. As I don't try and store potatoes - so have go out and buy them, etc we are now down to the last bit of kale, but loads of other greens to stirfry and still got quite a few leeks. But having just had a major operation (I just managed to get in before all routine ops got cancelled - phew) I am craving fresh fruit?

Anyway, looks like leek quiche tonight for tea...

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 03:36:23 pm »
We had egg overload until past weekend - 
 and now cant keep with the demand! Everyone wants them!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 08:43:05 pm »
We get pole cats coming into the byre where the goats and cats live and they steal the dry cat kibble. When we set traps for them we caught a feral kitten and a hedgehog :roflanim:
Before that we were adopted by another feral kitten (now castrated and given the impressive name of Arthur) and had lots of mice - since Arthur came we have very few, but he also catches lots of birds  :(
Apparently folk are panic buying animal feed  ::)
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 08:20:59 am »

Apparently folk are panic buying animal feed  ::)
That reminds me I need to busy months with of chicken feed today lol
Which are normally do anyway!

1 bag is normally enough for 2 weeks. So two bags last a month.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 11:33:57 am »
We want to restock with chickens this year but are holding off with pigs.  If lots of us are ill at the same time, the herbivores will pretty much be fine left to their own devices on grass, but pigs and chickens need feed brought in and quite a bit of looking after.

I'd thought we might get auto-popholes and if we do run short of bought-in feed, and / or lots of us are ill at the same time, we could just open up the pen and let the choox roam where they will, and they should manage - for week or two at least.

We can't leave the pigs to their own devices, so, no pigs this year.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS