Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spring arrived very suddenly here in Scotland  (Read 2656 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Spring arrived very suddenly here in Scotland
« on: March 21, 2020, 11:21:44 pm »
The past couple of days have been DRY  :o  and the mud is drying up too.  Suddenly the grass has grown a tiny bit - perhaps not quite as fast as the sheep are eating it.  Suddenly plants which have lain sullen and slow are shooting upwards, we've caught the mice that were destroying the new shoots, and it looks like we have a growing season.
I managed not to sow too early, at least with the more important and time-critical crops. I did sow flowers a bit early though and I currently have trays of fast growing garden plants which are too tender to go outside yet, with night temps well below freezing.  In particular I have 29 dahlias in 2 1/4" pots which are desperate to be moved up to 4" pots, but even though I use square pots so you can fit more in a tray than with round ones, 4" pots take up considerably more space under the grow lights than the smaller ones do. There are at least 10 other types of flowers ready to be potted on any day now, to say nothing of the peppers and aubergines which seem enormous, chillis, tomatoes and cucumbers which are not far behind.  Even though we bought 3 extra grow lights (stoically ignoring the advice on cannabis cultivation) and we have one large one already, there is still not enough space for tender plants.
I also have broad beans which I sowed about 3 weeks ago in the tunnel, now peeping through, leeks, spring onions, radish, cauliflowers, land cress and lamb's lettuce growing away, and peas and mizuna sown  :garden:  It's still too early here for potatoes, squashes and french and runner beans though.

I love this time of year.  I'm just hoping that if we are ill, we do it at different times so the crops and livestock are all fed and watered, waiting for us to eat when we recover  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Spring arrived very suddenly here in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 08:16:39 am »
"The past couple of days have been DRY  :o  and the mud is drying up too."
Exactly my thought yesterday, And the track and bottom fields have drained enough for the goats to go out.5 does + 9 x 3 week old kids + first time out = total chaos
I had a lovely day in the garden and greenhouse catching up a bit.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 12:47:32 pm »
Cows out yesterday :)  :excited:

Four days earlier than last year. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 02:32:42 pm »
Its wonderful isnt it 2 whole days without rain and gales - what a difference! Our tatties are showing in PT and fruit trees just about in flower. Bear in mind we are about a month behind most folk in the uk - tried to order some seeds for self isolating m-i-law only to find seeds are in short supply as there has been a huge increase in sales. It really is a war mentality isn't it (dig for Britain and all that).
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 03:57:00 pm »
What seeds did you want?  I can look in the farm supplies tomorrow, they had a rack of seeds last week.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 06:33:35 pm »
Its wonderful isnt it 2 whole days without rain and gales - what a difference! Our tatties are showing in PT and fruit trees just about in flower. Bear in mind we are about a month behind most folk in the uk - tried to order some seeds for self isolating m-i-law only to find seeds are in short supply as there has been a huge increase in sales. It really is a war mentality isn't it (dig for Britain and all that).

It sounds as if you are ahead of us, and we must be hundreds of miles to the south of you  :o

I have quite a few seeds which came free with Kitchen Garden magazine, which are varieties I don't use, and plenty left in packets which I have used some of.  I would be happy to send her some if you let me know the sort of thing which would be useful.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:55:34 pm by Fleecewife »

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 06:54:01 pm »
The past week there was 16 degrees in poland (and other countries in Europe) -really lovely - but tomorrow it's going down to -7!!!
I just hope it's not coming here! I wouldn't be surprised though..
My great grandmother said there was a year she remembers when there was -20 in MAY!!! all the fruit trees trunks split as they were already full of juices inside!
This year we will have huge shortage of flour anyway! Since September and throught the whole winter it's been so wet that only 10% of wheat has been drilled in the whole country! Bread will be expensive as it will have to be made from imported flour!

But apart from that we planted lots of seeds today - all staying inside the patio door - forecast for tonight is 0!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:57:47 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 09:44:49 pm »
The dry week has been great, even the snow on the hill is hardly melting so the river is the lowest it has been for months.  Today I even dared drive the tractor across the field!
Unfortunately it us somewhat different in our cow shed after the water trough burst and its knee deep soggy filth!

I've planted the first few things on the kitchen windowsill (tomatoes and leeks) and will put some potatoes in the polytunnel this week.

I wouldn't chance planting out in the garden until May.  50% of the years we have been here we have had snow in May - (an early morning dusting doesnt count, I mean 10cm lying for 2 or 4 days).

The curlews arrived last week and the first Hazel catkins opened yesterday so spring is on its way.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 09:50:43 am »
Thanks folks for your kind offers of seed help  :-* We did manage to get some sent down to her so thats great. I always order mine early so have enough to last. I've noticed the cucumbers, climbing beans and courgettes have germinated in the propagator today. I pricked out tomatoes and salad leaf lettuce last week, chillies next and waiting for the summer squash to show.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 01:40:42 pm »

The curlews arrived last week and the first Hazel catkins opened yesterday so spring is on its way.

We haven't seen curlews for three years.  The last pair were nesting about a mile down the road.  The farmer, who maybe hadn't noticed them, rolled the grass just when the eggs were hatching and all were destroyed  :rant:  None since - I really miss them and their iconic calls.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS