Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lely Cock Pheasant drive belt size  (Read 4406 times)

2bornot2b

• Joined Feb 2020
  • North Kent
Lely Cock Pheasant drive belt size
« on: February 28, 2020, 05:41:09 pm »
I’ve purchased very reasonably a fairly good condition Cock Pheasant hay turner unfortunately both drive belts are missing, would anyone know the correct size / length or know if on the web there is a free copy of the parts manual ??
There is one currently on eBay but I’m doubtful that it would give the size - just the Lely part number, which I don’t think will help me much ???
Yours in anticipation, Tim

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Lely Cock Pheasant drive belt size
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 11:48:15 am »
Just been into an old agricultural store in town. They had a large rack of 'V' drive belts sold by width and length. No idea how you measure the length on the machine though? Perhaps a length of rope with an allowance for the tensioner (if any)? These were imperial dimensions 12.7 x increments of 51 mm. Presumably armed with dimensions you can get something off the internet?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 08:05:52 pm »
I have such a machine, hopefully this weekend when I have a moment I will take a look for you   

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 06:51:42 pm »
I've had a look at ours but I cant read the markings. I will have to extract it from the "nettle patch " to get a better look, sooner than later will keep you posted.

and seconds after posting the above I have been told of a possible lead DISTAG Quality component solutions   part number  GMB 1061

https://distag.com/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 07:04:32 pm by Rupert the bear »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 10:51:34 am »
Details from a brand-new belt
Challenge classic. 17x2660 tp 2620 m
Purchased only 2 years ago but he can't remember who from

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 01:31:36 am »
To be or not to be grateful !?
I'm not going to make any more "Like" clicks on 2bornot2b's behalf !!  But, of course, it might be that Tim is just too busy right now to view and/or appreciate replies !?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:37:22 am by arobwk »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 09:00:04 am »
Knowing that I have made an effort to help and the fact I have achieved a result is reward enough, as you say Tim may be busy  or has found belts and hopefully not suffering from "la mauvaise grippe"

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 05:56:53 pm »
[member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member] and (I'm going to include) [member=28519]cloddopper[/member]

Do you know, by any chance, how the spec' for v shaped friction drive belts works?  For instance, what does a "17x2660 tp 2620 m" belt spec mean ?
What I'm thinking here is that someone has a machine (as per 2bornot2b) with plain v-shaped friction belted pulleys for power transmission:  if one were to find a selection of generic drive belts (as per chrismahon's experience) how might one determine the correct belt profile and circular "length" ?  In other words, what are the critical measurements one would take on the machine pulleys and between/around the machine pulleys ? 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 06:19:48 pm by arobwk »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 07:27:29 pm »
the best way is to look at these web sites
https://bearingtech.co.uk/pages/belt-identifier
and
https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Fan-Belt-Calculator-22-a

to determine the belt profile you need to measure the widest part of the "V"  and the depth of the "V" of the pulley
belt size , run a bit of cord , not too thin "6mm ish" round the pulleys to get the circumference (ish) 
although not precise it will do to calculate from scratch , in this case as luck would have it there was a new belt to refer to

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 08:45:33 pm »
When you get a new belt that fits  record the details if you can on the machine in half inch wide permanent marker where the sun won't bleach it out or it can get wiped off. .

I've done the same for my drill press , bandsaw , lathe , engine driven rotovators , etc etc. ,, it's been a godsend several times .

Deffo use the bearing boys already mentioned for your calculator it's perfect especially if you are looking for " matched pairs " or " trio's ) that  put a lot of torque on the driven pulley such as on a tractor driven log saw  slide with a four foot diameter 1/2 " thick log cutting blade  or something on an old combined harvester .

I 've also used it when repairing a couple of lightweight lawn mowers that have ribbed belts to get the precise size .
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:55:37 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 08:57:51 pm »
Did any of that help you out [member=200148]2bornot2b[/member] ?  Good luck with getting the Cock Pheasant back to work.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:42:29 pm by arobwk »

2bornot2b

• Joined Feb 2020
  • North Kent
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 08:04:26 pm »
So sorry for my late reply and thanks for the replies, latest update is as follows, purchased a reprint of a Cock Pheasant instruction & parts manual- although jolly useful only gives the Blanch-Lely part number which hasn’t really helped. A neighbour of mine told me to look at his old broken turner and try turning it over to see if any numbers are recorded on either of the old belts- much to my surprise both belts were marked with “B2660”  armed with this I rang my local belt and bearing shop and much to my surprise he was able to order a matched pair for £40 which I’ve just collected - not tried them on yet, keep you posted.
Once again, thanks for all your posts, just goes to show shat a fantastic site this is !!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 08:54:45 pm »
Thats good to hear   edited to add;

" purchased a reprint of a Cock Pheasant instruction & parts manual-"
and now you will know how the belts are fitted  :sunshine: :sunshine:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 03:10:53 pm by Rupert the bear »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS