Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Storm Ciara  (Read 2333 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Storm Ciara
« on: February 09, 2020, 09:00:33 pm »

Hi Folks,

I hope you're all staying safe. How's it going, and what's the weather like where you are?

I'm currently stuck in Frankfurt, where storm Ciara is actually storm Sabine (the Germans and Swiss apparently don't want to use the same names as GB!). I was supposed to be flying back to Edinburgh this afternoon, but the flight was cancelled, then Lufthansa automatically rebooked me...… via Doha!  ???   I had a great call with customer services based in the USA, who evidently didn't know where Doha was, and couldn't understand why I didn't want to fly 4000 miles South just to come back again!

I'm now booked on a flight to Manchester tomorrow morning..... we'll see!

I feel like I'm missing out on all the 'fun' back home though. Are you all ok?  :fc:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Storm Ciara
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 09:59:20 pm »

Fingers crossed for your journey Womble. There is no fun here I'm afraid. Houses and businesses flooded in various parts of the country. Disruption to travel. Livestock drowned.

It is unprecedented to have a weather warning covering so much of the country apparently.

Hope everyone is safe.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 11:46:48 pm »
We were all battened down but in fact it wasn't too bad here, slap bang in the middle of the south of Scotland. Wet and windy yes, but sunny too.  Now the fun starts as we are due two days of blizzards  :cold:

I hope you get back OK Womble.  See a plane from the US to UK cut 80 mins from its travel time because it rode the Jet Stream  8)

To those of you in worse conditions, stay safe  :hug:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 12:08:48 am »
We were ready for the wind, poly repaired, trees growing so hoped they would help, (you could certainly feel the difference when in the Lee of them), but not ready for the deluge, just about saved the house, at the last second, as the water reached the door sill, the rain had eased and OH turned the water further up the lane. Unfortunately goatshed not so lucky, but goats up on their deep beds, so safe and dry, but looking with great consternation at this mucky stuff swilling round the passageway. Wet haylage gone to sheep.
Bad down in the valley, Hebden Bridge, again,  :(

Have a good trip home Womble.  :)

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 08:34:33 am »

(the Germans and Swiss apparently don't want to use the same names as GB!).

How bizarre, because it's the Irish who have been naming the storms blowing in from the west for a while now, and the UK met office just go with it (in the interests of clarity). Hence Ciara and Brendan etc...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 10:28:51 am »

(the Germans and Swiss apparently don't want to use the same names as GB!).

How bizarre, because it's the Irish who have been naming the storms blowing in from the west for a while now, and the UK met office just go with it (in the interests of clarity). Hence Ciara and Brendan etc...
Ah, I did wonder who was giving such lovely names to such destructive things.  :innocent:
Hasn't been too bad here, David, been pretty windy up here, but to be honest a couple of weeks ago it was a lot worse; we had a wee sleety shower this morning, and now it's just wet. Very wet.  ::) The girls went two yards out the back door for a wee and a poo and back in to their beds.  The only thing I regret in moving here is not having put in a real fire, so I'll just hug the picture on the electric one instead.  :roflanim:  There is a chimney but it hasn't been swept, so I'm too timid to try it. I'm not cold though anyway.  Central heating great here, and being up on a  hill don't have the flooding I had before.
Hope you get home soon, L will be missing you.  Hope it's not too bumpy up there in the clouds. See you soon xx
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 12:18:50 pm »
Lot of rain here in Carnoustie on Saturday night so we had standing water yesterday butmost of it's gone now. Windy for sure, and four seasons today - rain, wind, then the winddrops and the sun comes out. Went for hay this morning - about four, five miles inland and up and it wassnowing there but not lying.
Came back from Penrith yesterday and there had clearly been a lot of flooding.
Hope you're all coping - safe flight home, Womble. Might have been good to have a week's stop-over in Doha  ::)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 02:38:50 pm »

Hi everybody! Well I made it as far as Manchester! Very bumpy on the way in to land, but the pilot nailed it right at the last moment.

I hope everyone is staying warm and dry, and that your livestock aren't suffering too much  :fc:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 04:16:16 pm »
Glad you are back ok womble , side of caravan flapping here . Will try to repair in better weather but it is a 50 year old caravan ! Warm and dry though .

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 01:57:07 pm »
Had the 2 biggest spruces at the back of the house topped off last week fortunately so touch wood everything has stayed put bar the sheet of ply formerly attached to one of the barn gates which ripped right off and flew into the mud.  A lot of surface water and the long field has flooded where the drainage wasn't deep enough, but all animals seem fine with the natural shelter and I cancelled plans to just stay home and feed the fire ;)

We've had flurries of heavy snow but it's honestly so wet it hasn't been able to do more than cover a windscreen for a couple hours.  Fife is just amazing as a microclimate when we have blustery sunny blasts and Kirkcaldy has a blizzard, most of the borders seem flooded very badly and the new Queensferry bridge has been closed due to lumps of ice falling on vehicles! 

Hope you got home safe and all well there :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 08:47:08 pm »
A brand new 2 mile long bridge over an inland firth, that was supposed to never close, but our weather got the better of it.

Compare that to a 22 mile bridge over very deep rough waters with a muitions dump underneath it.

Wouldn't want to be stuck in the  middle of that in this weather!

Just sayin'  ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 09:24:36 pm »
Boris will plant trees each side as a wind break..Like all these vanity projects it'll be about the consultancy fees and brown envelopes...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS