Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sorry I havent been online for a while!  (Read 1890 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Sorry I havent been online for a while!
« on: December 28, 2019, 10:47:15 pm »
Hello all! I'm sorry I haven't been online for quite some time, so what's new with everybody? What've I missed?

Me where to start I fell off my bike & broke my wrist &  sadly & suddenly lost my old dog in my profile pic to a Gastric torsion  :-\ but I've since bought myself a little Wire Fox Terrier bitch puppy who with the help of a couple of top breeders have won lots of prizes showing her & on her 1st proper show we qualified for Crufts -Twice!!! Then I became an Aunty rather unexpectedly for the 1st time ( He he mini farmer in the making lol) & I finally bought myself a 4x4 now  I've just got plenty of projects to keep me going until lambing....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Sorry I havent been online for a while!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 12:48:55 pm »
Good luck.  That pup looks stunning.  I'm a championship show Judge - judged my breed (Brittanys) there in 2007, and I've judged most breeds including WFTs

Lovely to have a wee nephew to spoil too.  He'll be digging alongside you in no time.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 05:01:02 pm »
Ah nice to know your familiar with the breed will have to pm you sometime when I get the chance x

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 12:24:12 am »
I've not been on for ages either - must be a Shropshire thing.

I'm still missing my goats and finding it hard being around smallholders, goat keepers, etc.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 11:10:08 am »
Me too - not been on for ages - I think its an 'Sh' thing - Shropshire/Shetland  :roflanim:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 12:02:31 pm »
I've not been on for ages either - must be a Shropshire thing.

I'm still missing my goats and finding it hard being around smallholders, goat keepers, etc.

When I lost my cow to TB in 2008, it coincided with losing a dog. 2 more died in the following months. When the last of the cows (not to TB) went a few years later I looked around.

To see the place with NO CATTLE, it was a shock and talk about grief. The thought of the work, for me, didn't even come into it. There were no cattle on the place and I hated it. When I couldn't lamb 2016/2017, I actually didn't mind and the following lambing, it made me realise, I DONT want to do it. So I sold quite a few off. I lambed last year, sold more off and 3 lambed in December just gone. The 2 that weren't interested in the tup, they are still here, but to be honest, I don't know whether or not I'm depressed or in pain (knackered my foot in November) but I am seriously considering get rid of the 2 of them and just stick with the 6, 3 lambers, 3 non lambers and my beloved cattle.

And there's the thing, I can honestly say, I have NEVER said I LOVE sheep. I don't. I like sheep. Theres a difference. I love cattle, I love their quirkiness and the fact they use me as a scratching post even though I could have throttled Jennifer last year. (She's now really improved, she was close though, very close!).

People, I can give or take, but my animals, I truly grieve for them. If its your choice if you stop dealing with them then its different then if the choice is taken out of your hands and I truly feel for anybody who has to give up their beloved animals for whatever reasons.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 11:47:27 pm »
My health forced me to give them up. It got to the stage where all I did for them was take their food to them and cuddle them. My OH (who had said he didn't mind me having the goats so long as he didn't have to get involved) had to carry the water to them twice a day and hold them while their hooves were trimmed or the vet needed to look at them. When it got to the stage one winter that I was nearly crying with the pain in my hands when I was milking, I realised that I had to stop milking them. I have thumb splints which help but I couldn't wear them to do the milking as they are plastic coated metal. I decided that when the old lady died, I would rehome the young one. Pom lasted until she was twelve when she died one night. Caldi went to live with a friend's goats where she is very happy and has produced twins.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS