Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone make Cheese  (Read 10036 times)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Re: Anyone make Cheese
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2020, 10:57:11 am »
Yep I realised I hadn't changed my log-in time from the default 60 mins - I have now  :thumbsup:
Sally
I've tried quite a few chevre recipes but the best one so far is:-
In the morning bring 1ltr milk (scale up or down to suit the milk volume) up to a temp of 82c (thats just about coming to boil), remove from heat let cool to 42c.
Add starter (I just use between 1 and 3 tbls live organic yogurt depending on milk quantity), stir well and leave to settle for a few minutes and then add rennet (I just add a dissolved quarter tab of Bio-ren), leave for 24hrs.
Next morning cut the curd and line colander with cheesecloth (all sterilised of course), ladle curds gently into colander, lifting corners of cloth and hanging to drain for 24hrs.
Next day empty into bowl and add 1/2 to 1 tsp salt to taste. Pile into a clean cheesecloth and gently roll into log shape and this next process is what has made the cheese the best chevre in my opinion. In a  tupperware lay several layers of kitchen roll and then the log of cheese still covered with the cloth. Leave in fridge till the next day and repeat the process of changing the layers of kitchen roll plus changing the cloth to a fresh dry one, next day repeat that process. Next day the chevre should be stiff enough to be shaped into proper log or put loose into container. I have rolled logs in toasted oatmeal or fresh herbs with minced garlic and lemon zest or just rolled in black pepper - I've yet to try ash.
I hope you try it - it is lovely :yum:

Dan - I have thought about converting a fridge but as I just won't have the volume of milk that you have from cows I think I'll go for something a bit smaller, thanks for the link  ;)
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Briggsy from Gower

• Joined Nov 2018
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2020, 11:37:42 am »
Hi all,

A very well timed post.
I am in bed with chest infection and had pulled out my How to make cheese naturally book which has so far just sat on the shelf.
Explains a lot about using your own culture (as per SallyInTheNorth) rather than pasteurising to remove the natural microbes only then to add in a single microbe to do a 'mono culture' job.
Anyway, I'm inspired by your posts so will drag myself out of bed to try a paneer, or 'squeaky cheese', then get myself some rennet ordered so I can be more adventurous.
I have for some time been trying to source raw goats milk, which seems to be rarer than gold around these parts, I shall persevere, but until then will make do with unhomogenised cows milk.

Good luck cheese makers.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 11:49:34 am by Briggsy from Gower »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2020, 12:27:21 pm »
Yep I realised I hadn't changed my log-in time from the default 60 mins - I have now  :thumbsup:
Sally
I've tried quite a few chevre recipes but the best one so far is:-
In the morning bring 1ltr milk (scale up or down to suit the milk volume) up to a temp of 82c (thats just about coming to boil), remove from heat let cool to 42c.
Add starter (I just use between 1 and 3 tbls live organic yogurt depending on milk quantity), stir well and leave to settle for a few minutes and then add rennet (I just add a dissolved quarter tab of Bio-ren), leave for 24hrs.
Next morning cut the curd and line colander with cheesecloth (all sterilised of course), ladle curds gently into colander, lifting corners of cloth and hanging to drain for 24hrs.
Next day empty into bowl and add 1/2 to 1 tsp salt to taste. Pile into a clean cheesecloth and gently roll into log shape and this next process is what has made the cheese the best chevre in my opinion. In a  tupperware lay several layers of kitchen roll and then the log of cheese still covered with the cloth. Leave in fridge till the next day and repeat the process of changing the layers of kitchen roll plus changing the cloth to a fresh dry one, next day repeat that process. Next day the chevre should be stiff enough to be shaped into proper log or put loose into container. I have rolled logs in toasted oatmeal or fresh herbs with minced garlic and lemon zest or just rolled in black pepper - I've yet to try ash.
I hope you try it - it is lovely :yum:

Dan - I have thought about converting a fridge but as I just won't have the volume of milk that you have from cows I think I'll go for something a bit smaller, thanks for the link  ;)

:bookmark: chevre recipe

I shall certainly try that Polyanya, it is just a few more simple steps for our daily cheese :)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2020, 05:34:20 pm »
Hi all,

Explains a lot about using your own culture (as per SallyInTheNorth) rather than pasteurising to remove the natural microbes only then to add in a single microbe to do a 'mono culture' job.

On the cheesemakers facebook pages there are regular posts of people failing badly with unpasteurised milk for acid coagulated soft cheeses (like the one Polyanya described, which is the same method I use for the Belpers) - the issue being yeast contamination. The curd blows... loads of bubbles and it will have a yeasty taste. I have had this problem before, and the cause is usually not contamination of the kitchen/cheese room environment, but a slight touch of (subclinical) mastitis in the goat/cow - and you can ruin a few litres of milk really quickly. So I would recommend - esp while you have to buy in milk - to pasteurise for soft cheeses. Just safer...

Briggsy from Gower

• Joined Nov 2018
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 08:43:46 am »
Thanks Anke, will take this into consideration. Nothing more likely to turn off  beginner then early failures!

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 10:11:07 am »
Get well soon Brigsy and get some rennet! Glad you're going to try the recipe Sally, I'd love to hear how you get on. Anke I feel I'm lucky to have access to my own goats milk as I know exactly how I process the milk from teat to mouth as it were - that said I haven't experienced mastitis in my goats milk and short of sending the milk away for testing I'm confident mine haven't suffered with it as I do all the pre-checks I feel are necessary for me. Must admit I thought the yeast 'bubbles' were from poor hygiene so thats worth knowing at least.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 08:51:06 pm »
Must admit I thought the yeast 'bubbles' were from poor hygiene so thats worth knowing at least.
Yes poor hygiene of course also can lead to yeast contamination, but if you are sure all of your utensils are clean and you haven't changed your milking routine, it is probably a slight touch of mastitis. You can do the washing up liquid test for subclinical mastitis - a few drops of Ecover into some milk, swirl it round or stir with your fingers, if it all goes gungy/slimey (for want of a better word) you have some mastitis, if it only goes foamy then all is fine. It does happen, esp in early lactation, until the goat settles into milking..., often just a stress thing.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 09:33:41 am »
Fingers crossed my girls never get it then  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS