Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet hates  (Read 15643 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Pet hates
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2020, 04:09:32 am »
Roast monkey nuts - eat a handful , shells and all, for the most satisfying morning dump.....
I used to recommend ground roast peanut shell for dogs with bowel problems - excellent for many forms of colitis.

Thanks pgk', but I don't think I'm going to try munching peanut shells any time soon !!
Why not? I eat them now and again with the peanut still inside.. a bit chewy but fine and excellent fibre.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2020, 01:36:57 am »
Roast monkey nuts - eat a handful , shells and all, for the most satisfying morning dump.....
I used to recommend ground roast peanut shell for dogs with bowel problems - excellent for many forms of colitis.

Thanks pgk', but I don't think I'm going to try munching peanut shells any time soon !!
Why not? I eat them now and again with the peanut still inside.. a bit chewy but fine and excellent fiber.

Naah, I have enough problems getting stuff out of the gaps in my teeth without adding peanut shell fibers !!  :)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2020, 01:17:17 pm »

Naah, I have enough problems getting stuff out of the gaps in my teeth without adding peanut shell fibers !!  :)
Stick it through a kitchen whizzy machine and drink it through a straw.... :innocent:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2020, 05:49:16 pm »

Stick it through a kitchen whizzy machine and drink it through a straw.... :innocent:

I'm still not persuaded  :D

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2020, 09:09:03 pm »
" Ripen in the fruit-bowl" = Buy it, wait a week and it's dried and tasteless"Ready to eat" = Buy it , wait 3 days and it's tasteless

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2020, 11:32:28 pm »
Drivers who indicate to turn after they have started moving. I feel like shouting, "I already know you're pulling out in front of me - you're half way there."

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2020, 12:18:31 am »
Drivers who indicate to turn after they have started moving. I feel like shouting, "I already know you're pulling out in front of me - you're half way there."

Or drivers who fail to indicate at all then turn right.  That was the cause of my first motorcycle crash  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2020, 11:48:37 pm »

Or drivers who fail to indicate at all then turn right.  That was the cause of my first motorcycle crash  ::)

Don't start me off !!! 

Well obviously you have, so - and I have noticed that the more expensive the car the greater the incidence of poor or complete lack of indicator use ... "I know where I am going so why bother ?!" (can't find an emoticon that sums that attitude up.) ... or is it  "Look at me in my very expensive car!"  which we are then made to do while they decide whether to give us an indication of where they are going to go next ... or perhaps they think it's "Automated !" to coin a recent advertising catch-phrase involving some mongoose-like creatures.
As you might have guessed, I operate indicator whether there is another vehicle/people in sight or not so that I do not get sloppy when it could really matter !
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 12:18:42 am by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2020, 11:55:16 pm »
There used to be a lethal old lady in St Andrews.  Apparently many years before they had changed the traffic priority coming out of the West Port.  However, she either didn't notice or simply didn't change her ways, and would drive straight out across the main road, looking neither right nor left, clutching the steering wheel and peering over the top, and possibly wondering why there were so many horn blasts, or perhaps she couldn't hear either.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2020, 01:00:27 pm »
Pics of ewes and lambs on social media, where one or more lambs have clearly not yet had enough - or even anything - to eat.   :rant:  Put the camera down and get that lamb fed!!!  :rant:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2020, 07:24:05 pm »
 my biggest pet hate at the moment, people who drive all the way up our farm road looking for a local holiday let, B & B , camping site and say, I know we are in the wrong place but my satnav brought me here. Myself and neighbours are so sick of it. If you are going to run a camping site don't just give out your first name and postcode and expext that is enough information for people to find you.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2020, 05:02:03 pm »
my biggest pet hate at the moment, people who drive all the way up our farm road looking for a local holiday let, B & B , camping site and say, I know we are in the wrong place but my satnav brought me here. Myself and neighbours are so sick of it. If you are going to run a camping site don't just give out your first name and postcode and expext that is enough information for people to find you.

We have holiday businesses here, and I can tell you that you can write what you want in the blurb, tell them again when they book, send them a letter and a map - and they will still follow their  :censored: satnav!!!  If you are out in the sticks, you may get away with putting up homemade signs pointing people in the right direction (and or away from the wrong direction).

We had a similar problem up North too, in that we and the business across the road shared a postcode.  It caused them and us quite a bit of grief.  In fact, we came back to the farmstead one day to find some of their holiday guests inside our house!!  In that case, they had described the route to the people, told them what the building and door looked like, and the silly eejits still opened our door (which was unlike the description they'd been given in every respect.  ::) ) and walked in.  :rant:

Having declined to be a keyholder for their holiday cottages!, and having very reluctantly taken to locking the front door if we were out and about on the farm, we asked around and were told about two options to help.  We were within half a mile of a World Heritage Site so putting up our own signage was a non-starter (although we did put a "Not <organic cafe and Bunk Barn>" sign on our own front door for the rest of that summer.). The "official" options were to get the map data companies to put in a special pin for the business, and the other was for the business to apply for a unique postcode for themselves.  I can't remember now what the criteria were to get your own postcode, and of course there will still be old guides out there with the old postcode, but it would reduce the problem.  They did go for the map pin business, but took the alternative option of locating the postcode pin on their property instead of ours, which then caused us and the other house on the same postcode a whole pile of grief with our own visitors ::).  I think all that is easier now that most phones have satnav capability.

Anyway, I feel for you!   :hug:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:03:52 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2020, 10:39:27 pm »
There used to be a lethal old lady in St Andrews.  Apparently many years before they had changed the traffic priority coming out of the West Port.  However, she either didn't notice or simply didn't change her ways, and would drive straight out across the main road, looking neither right nor left, clutching the steering wheel and peering over the top, and possibly wondering why there were so many horn blasts, or perhaps she couldn't hear either.

Ah yes, I remember her well!!!

Do you really?  Were you at Uni there, or did you live there?  She was a right menace but we all soon got to expect her  :roflanim:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2020, 02:10:57 am »
I think if all you give out is your first name and postcode when running a holiday cottage and camping site then something is not right. all my neighbours are sick of it. We now have no entry signs up. One guy came up out farm road looking for them and gave us a nouthful as he had scraped the bottom of his car on our road. We had a German guy in a motor home drive up and park for the night. he was not happy to be told he was in the wrong place. We have asked in a nice way can they not give out a map to their place to be told why don't we put up a sign pointing to their place. I think having one at your own site would be a better idea.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2020, 01:04:24 pm »
I think if all you give out is your first name and postcode when running a holiday cottage and camping site then something is not right. all my neighbours are sick of it. We now have no entry signs up. One guy came up out farm road looking for them and gave us a nouthful as he had scraped the bottom of his car on our road. We had a German guy in a motor home drive up and park for the night. he was not happy to be told he was in the wrong place. We have asked in a nice way can they not give out a map to their place to be told why don't we put up a sign pointing to their place. I think having one at your own site would be a better idea.

Yes, you have to think there's something dodgy going on there, (as with our neighbour who took down the signpost, and won't let others along the same track put up their own). They must be advertising somewhere, so can you find out from the next stray where they got their info and see just what they say in the original advert?  I used to get really annoyed at delivery drivers coming to my door to ask for directions to places down the track, but then I realised it's hardly their fault they can't find the place and now I suggest, after giving them directions, that they ask at their destination for better signage.  Not that that has made any difference  ::)   
In fact a sign saying ~ 'camp site 100yds on right' might be giving in to them, but would make your own life much easier.  You never know, they might even put it up themselves...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS