Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 1860 times)

Vile Traveller

• Joined Dec 2019
Greetings
« on: December 22, 2019, 06:14:20 am »
Hello, first post! I plan to buy a smallholding, preferably in North Wales, perhaps a year or two from now, mainly with the intention of settling down for the long term and learning some traditional skills. I'm not planning to make a profit from the land, , the extent of my food production will probably be limited to an orchard and kitchen garden (though I'm keen to look into bees and chickens). I have no farming experience as such, I have been a landscape architect for much of my working life. This is my initial investigation phase, so please bear with me while I ask a multitude of n00b questions on these forums!  :P

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 05:24:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum Vile Traveller.  An interesting choice of forum name !! (?)

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 09:57:43 pm »
Hi and a seasonal welcome :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 01:03:44 am »
Hi VT  :wave: and welcome to TAS.  If you don't need to make a profit from smallholding, then you won't be disappointed  ;D .  I think you will end up getting hens - they are such pals, especially when you are working in the veg garden  :hughen:
Ask away with the questions as TASers love to answer when they can - we all started anew once upon a time.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 10:07:12 am »
I rate chickens as essential for a smallholding, certainly for us as our land was totally depleted of nourishment. Free ranging in an enclosure around fruit trees they will fertilise the ground very effectively giving you good crops of fruit. The poo from the coop goes to make excellent compost for the veg which will maximise your food production- the eggs are just a bonus.

Vile Traveller

• Joined Dec 2019
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 03:35:00 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome, all! Yes, I'd guess chickens are almost certainly a part of my future. An old friend also told me they love slugs, so they can be handy pest control if you let them loose amongst your Brassica for a bit (?). But I think I'll take that to the appropriate section of the forum to explore further.

Long, boring story behind my forum name, arobwk, but it started with a near miss from a dive-bombing bird - my profile photo is the resulting tarmac-splat (I swear I felt the wind parting my hair as it went past!). If you've seen the film "V for Vendetta" (though it was only a comic back then) you'll recognise what an anarchist that bird was - it's been my profile photo and forum name ever since.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 10:30:48 pm »
Welcome VT, many have to learn from scratch, these days of social media are great for answers to any questions  :)

Vile Traveller

• Joined Dec 2019
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 06:30:15 pm »
How time flies - a year to the day, and it looks like we'll be moving in in mid-January. A lot of work to be done before we start producing, though!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 07:47:25 am »
 :wave: welcome to the world of cabbages and kings  :sunshine:

Oh and if you want cabbages then dont let hens in! (let them clear ground of slugs during bare soil time of yr)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 05:06:00 pm »
Hi VT. Where are you moving to? Exciting times

Vile Traveller

• Joined Dec 2019
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 08:12:54 pm »
Hi VT. Where are you moving to? Exciting times
North Wales - very exciting indeed to finally (almost) get to this point!  :excited:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 08:19:33 pm »
Hello and a belated welcome! Good luck with the new smallholding! Exciting times  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS