Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1645 times)

Huttopia

• Joined Nov 2020
« on: November 16, 2020, 06:29:04 pm »
Hi,

Hello, I'm new to the forum. At the moment I've got a few Beltie steers and some Herdwicks. They are both primarily for conservation grazing on steep ground and so far doing a great job. On the sheep front in the past I've had Ryelands and Hebredians and for pigs I've had Tamworths and Glos Old Spot x Oxford Sandy and Black. And yes, the Hebs were always a nightmare to pen and the Tamworths escaped from time to time but eventually made their way back.

I don't come from a farming background but simply enjoy looking after the livestock and learning along the way. It is a completely different focus from the day job.

Thanks,

Huttopia

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 11:33:49 pm »
Hi and welcome. I don't know why no one has been on to welcome you. Hopefully a few will soon. I used to keep goats but had to give them up sadly. I still manage to grow fruit and veg. I would have loved to keep pigs and love GOS but I only have a garden so no room.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 12:18:04 am »
Hello and welcome [member=207905]Huttopia[/member].  As you can see from my pic, I keep Hebrideans too and have had Tamworths in the past.  When you've had Hebs for a while they do get used to being rounded up, then they almost go in the pen of their own accord (almost  ;D )
Whereabouts are you based?

It's ages since you posted your intro and no-one has seen it.  I certainly missed it until MGM's eagle eyes picked it up  :) .  It does seem to be an ongoing problem on TAS - I wonder why?  It's definitely not that we mean to ignore you. [member=1]Dan[/member] , any ideas?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 07:22:46 am »
 :wave:  welcome from Wales
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 07:43:40 am »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave: We have Shetland cattle and used to breed Ryeland sheep, now just have a small flock of lawnmowers.

Huttopia

• Joined Nov 2020
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 09:46:23 am »
Ah, thanks. I wondered if my intro had fallen down the cracks as the forum seems such a friendly place! I’m in Worcestershire, in the Teme Valley, which is very pretty when it isn’t foggy!!

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 08:35:05 am »
It's ages since you posted your intro and no-one has seen it.  I certainly missed it until MGM's eagle eyes picked it up  :) .  It does seem to be an ongoing problem on TAS - I wonder why?  It's definitely not that we mean to ignore you. [member=1]Dan[/member] , any ideas?

I have to manually approve the first post of new members. This usually happens the same or next day, but when we have a spate of spam registrations it can take me a few days, and if I'm busy up to a week. :(

Sadly Huttopia's did slip through the cracks, and coincided with a flood of spam registrations, my apologies.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 12:37:14 pm »
Thanks for the explanation, [member=1]Dan[/member]  :wave:

We will quite understand if we can't, but I expect a fair few of us would be glad to help with newbie post approvals, if the checks that are needed can be listed, and are things we can [be shown how to] do?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Huttopia

• Joined Nov 2020
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 11:29:44 am »
A big first for us today. The vet came and did the first stage of the TB test. Why a big first, well it involved walking the cows down the lane, getting them into a pen and into the crush. I managed to pick up an old but serviceable crush for £200 delivered over Christmas, a friend with a telehandler plonked it over the hedge into the field for me and I put the pen up around it.

I have no idea why it caused me such ridiculous levels of anxiety, but it all went to plan bar one cow jumping a fence to join the sheep and then just rejoining further down the lane. We had moved the cows once before to get them used to it and the pen, which I think paid off. I dragged the family out of bed early to help and the vet was all done and dusted in 20 mins (took a while to encourage the cows into the crush for the first time).

Such a relief. Now just waiting for Friday with everything crossed.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 01:55:26 pm »

Such a relief. Now just waiting for Friday with everything crossed.
Well done you!  :fc: for Friday!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 05:14:29 pm »

:fc: :fc: :fc:  and let us know  :hshoe:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 08:49:53 pm »
Well done!  I know exactly how good it feels when it's all done and the preparation paid off.  We have to borrow a crush every year for our TB test, so I still rehearse the cows for a few days before the vet comes.  Then I feel all "proud mummy moment" when it all goes well on the day!  lol
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS