Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken housing how much space?  (Read 2715 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Chicken housing how much space?
« on: December 02, 2019, 03:56:47 pm »
hi after giving up chickens after fox attacks and bird flu I’ve now decided I’d like to try agin, I used to free range them but have decided that’s not going to work, so planning on building a fox proof pen but not sure how big it needs to be to allow them plenty of space? I could let them out in the garden when I’m home but that wouldn’t be everyday, hoping to have 6-8 hens, any advice please?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Chicken housing how much space?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 10:14:00 am »
You need a minimum of 2 square metres each in a run to avoid certain problems with bullying and feather pecking, more if they don't ever get to run outside that. We built a 600m2 secure enclosure around the runs and smaller enclosures which gave 15 m2 each- an area which is sustainable and keeps the grass. A small run will quickly become bare soil unless moved weekly.

Ignore Government or BHWT guidelines if they differ from above. My figures are based on years of first-hand experience with our multiple small domestic flocks.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 01:17:22 pm »
Thank you I looked at guidelines and thought it was too small, so roughly  3m x 6m would be ok for 6/8 birds? I could put electric poultry netting out for when I’m home but it wouldn’t be everyday.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 03:20:10 pm »

Hi Dixie, We're going back a bit, but there are some blurry photos on this thread of the first house and run I ever made. It was 4.5m x 3.5m and was great for 3 or 4 hens. I think having any more in there would have been pushing it a bit though.

If you have the space, larger is better basically.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 05:59:30 pm »
Wow womble  that’s impressive. We aren’t short on space, far from it, it’s more about finding the right place for it, I’m looking at galvanised secure runs but have hubby pulling faces about spending £100’s to have free eggs  ::) , even building something large is pretty costly, we did consider heras panels but they aren’t that attractive and we’d still have to build an end to have a door, so it’s still being discussed! The actual,chicken house is sorted it’s just the secure run.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 07:25:50 am »
Something else to consider Dixie is stress. Chickens are very much creatures of habit and like a routine. In our case they stay in their runs during the morning, because sometimes we go out and the runs are very secure. In the afternoons they are let out into their enclosures. If we don't let them out, even for 15 minutes, they get very stressed. So occasional free-ranging is counter-productive in my opinion, as stressed hens have a depressed immune system and are likely to get sick or stop laying. I think best to build a much larger secure run and keep them in it.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 10:11:04 pm »
Thanks all some really good ideas here, we still haven’t decided exactly what to do, I want to get it right so we still in discussion!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 03:19:53 pm »
Each of our two henhouses (take 40 birds each) have three paddocks and three popholes, one opening into each of the paddocks. We move them on the 1st of the month into a new paddock simply by opening a different pophole. Each paddock is about 120m2, so each hen has about 10m2 across the three areas (I think - complies with Soil Association standards). It means that the ground is rested for two months between having poultry on it and gives it a chance to recover. The hen paddocks are planted with apple trees - so we get two "crops" from the area.

The perimeter of the area is stock fenced, with 2m plastic deer netting inside it (to keep deer out and hens in) and the individual paddocks are divided up by deer netting. Deer netting on its own isn't suitable for the perimeter as Foxy can bite through it quite easily.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS