Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerel Collars  (Read 16204 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Cockerel Collars
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 11:41:12 am »
is it elasticated? how snug should it be?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 11:58:05 am »
Nope its not elasticated, its quite rigid although reasonably flexible.

You'll really struggle to put it on too tightly but it is quite a nerve wracking thing to do for the first time  ;D

i've never had a bird show any sign of breathing distress when fitting them, even though it feels quite tight sometimes they will sit down for a while feeling sorry for themselves till they get used to it but usually they start jumping about like a mad thing.

Put one hand around its neck and lift all the cape feathers up then attach the collar as close to the base of the neck as you can, its probably easier with two people.

Make it as snug as you can, obviously without choking the bird :)

i can get my pinky under mine but can't get it past the first joint and it shouldn't be able to move easily up and down the neck.

Make sure the overlap on the outside is at the back or they can take it off!  :innocent:

When you fit it put the bird in a pen where it can't hurt itself on anything.

they do try and back out of it for a while until they get used to it and can flap and jump a lot which is quite alarming the first time you see it!

I've put them on a bird before and 5 minutes later its as if nothing has happened but I've also had some still trying to do the backing out thing the day after it was fitted.

If it crows and its still quite loud, tighten it slightly more until you get it to the right place.

Here's a video of someone who has just fitted a collar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Sq77UBdJc
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:06:40 pm by Clansman »

unicornleather

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Tanglwst, Carmarthenshire
    • Unicorn Leather Saddlery
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 10:44:51 am »
I know this is an old thread but |I would just like to say, I make the cockerel collars. Have sold over 2500 so far and I struggle to keep up wth the demand sometimes.As a traditional working Saddler I have varied jobs and things to make, some of which would make your toes curl  but I make far more cockerel collars than anything else!
I sell them via my website and through ebay user name is bidsbuster on there. Yes a few people who dont read the instructions or follow them have had problems with them but on the whole there is a good success rate and it doesn't stop the cockerel from crowing, just acts like a volume control.
Traditional Country Saddler -est 1988

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 03:22:29 pm »
this is a brilliant solution for those with sensitive neighbours! never heard of it before, I guess I dont need it due to my rural setting but I would def do this if I ever moved to a more urban setting!

Thanks for sharing :)

Bobie

• Joined May 2018
  • Essex
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 06:23:28 pm »
Hi,

I too have used these collars, with great success, my boys, were a bit dodgy at first, backing up, sitting down and not moving, until they got used to it after a few hours, but then, they were up and about, just like normal, but without the racket!! lol

Since I have moved, I have no neighbours now, so took them off, but I would use them again, without hesitation!

unicornleather

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Tanglwst, Carmarthenshire
    • Unicorn Leather Saddlery
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2019, 09:07:04 am »
Just an update, I have sold over 6500 of these collars now, all round the world, loads go to Italy for some reason. I also supply a letter for the buyer to use to help them support their claim/defence in a court case or dispute with neighbours and/or councils. The collars are successful, some failures but not many. If you have a noisy cockerel who's upsetting the neighbours do consider one before you get rid of the bird, there's plenty on sale on the net all round the the world.
Traditional Country Saddler -est 1988

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS