Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep scanning fee?  (Read 7545 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Sheep scanning fee?
« on: November 28, 2019, 08:46:20 pm »
Hi folks

I'd like to get our ewes scanned this time as we haven't previously and think we can manage them better knowing what they are carrying.

I've been quoted £80 for someone to come and scan 10 ewes but have no idea if this sounds about right?

Thanks in advance!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Sheep scanning fee?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 09:14:45 pm »
Yes I would say that's pretty good. Takes as long to set up to scan 10 as it does for 100, and obviously you don't have the economies of scale.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 09:16:10 pm »
I’ve heard a pound a sheep but like shearing there may be a set up fee? That was from someone with 100 plus sheep though. We’re prob getting ours done at the same time as them which keeps cost down. I don’t know if smaller numbers equal higher cost??

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 09:17:40 pm »
I've been quoted £80 for someone to come and scan 10 ewes but have no idea if this sounds about right?

Yes, IME that's about right for small numbers.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 09:51:47 pm »
Brill, thank you all ! :)

Hopefully it'll help as previously as after a few years of tweeking we still had slightly large single lambs and slightly small twins when trying to feed without knowing. I think our singles will be fine on just good meadow hay and crystalyx.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 10:27:34 pm »
Sounds about right. I’ve been quoted £70 minimum charge

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 05:32:46 pm »
That’s what I pay .... £80 for 100 ewes and under. I have 14 but think it’s worth it re knowing what to feed.

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 08:39:03 pm »
can you not latch on with a neighbour when they do theirs?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 08:59:43 pm »
Biosecurity will be compromised if you take your sheep onto a different holding... it may be worthwhile to pay the 80 pounds.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 09:31:56 pm »
Biosecurity will be compromised if you take your sheep onto a different holding... it may be worthwhile to pay the 80 pounds.

The sheep scanners I’ve seen don’t clean their equipment between flocks...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 10:41:57 pm »

The scanners I have met definitely have.

As a note technically taking sheep to another holding for scanning shearing etc and then bringing them home is very naughty, as once they arrive at the neighbours the 6 day standstill is in place

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 08:15:58 am »
The only equipment my scanner brought was his monitor, battery and scanning head.  I provided the catching and holding facilities and he charged me £35 for 10 ewes.  I was on his route between home and another job.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 09:42:52 am »

Or 13 days if you are in Scotland.

The scanners I have met definitely have.

As a note technically taking sheep to another holding for scanning shearing etc and then bringing them home is very naughty, as once they arrive at the neighbours the 6 day standstill is in place

ilyria

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 03:26:15 pm »
We paid £50 for 36 sheep last year. The scanner said his minimum charge was £40

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 04:50:21 pm »

i had mine scanned for £70 for 5 ewes, i was happy to pay as its very hard to get scanners to do small numbers

my only issue was that she got 3 wrong and i ended up with 3 sets of triplets rather than the twins scanned!

i had them on a feed regime for twins and they all turned out pretty decent so part of me was thinking not bothering this year, and using the same feeding regime,

i would have trouble if i had a single but as Wiltshires are very prolific id be pretty confident that i wont get a single

follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS