Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep scanning fee?  (Read 7505 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Sheep scanning fee?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2019, 11:25:17 am »

i had mine scanned for £70 for 5 ewes, i was happy to pay as its very hard to get scanners to do small numbers

my only issue was that she got 3 wrong and i ended up with 3 sets of triplets rather than the twins scanned!

i had them on a feed regime for twins and they all turned out pretty decent so part of me was thinking not bothering this year, and using the same feeding regime,

i would have trouble if i had a single but as Wiltshires are very prolific id be pretty confident that i wont get a single

If you paid that much and 60% were scanned wrong I’d be asking for my money back!

I had a similar experience last year but decided to try again this year with a more experienced scanner who came recommended and luckily could fit me in. I’m glad I did as there’s 5 sets of triplets and a set of quads to keep an eye on. If I hadn’t scanned and fed for twins I think we would have problems at lambing time. So if you can get an experienced scanner again I would definitely scan them.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 12:10:28 pm »
If you want the scanner to be sure to identify triplets you may need to tell them.  In the uplands of the north of England, they basically look to distinguish between geld (empty), one and multiple.  If they happen to see more than two they will call it, but unless you ask them to specifically, they don’t take the time to seek additional lambs once they’ve found two.

It may well be different in the south, but in the northern uplands, you need to be feeding twins and above, end of, so the job of the scanner is to filter out the empties and the singles.  They’ll be doing several flocks of 500+ each day, too, so it’s about speed too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2019, 01:03:07 pm »

i had mine scanned for £70 for 5 ewes, i was happy to pay as its very hard to get scanners to do small numbers

my only issue was that she got 3 wrong and i ended up with 3 sets of triplets rather than the twins scanned!

i had them on a feed regime for twins and they all turned out pretty decent so part of me was thinking not bothering this year, and using the same feeding regime,

i would have trouble if i had a single but as Wiltshires are very prolific id be pretty confident that i wont get a single

If you paid that much and 60% were scanned wrong I’d be asking for my money back!

I had a similar experience last year but decided to try again this year with a more experienced scanner who came recommended and luckily could fit me in. I’m glad I did as there’s 5 sets of triplets and a set of quads to keep an eye on. If I hadn’t scanned and fed for twins I think we would have problems at lambing time. So if you can get an experienced scanner again I would definitely scan them.

You live and Learn I suppose, I messaged the her told her she went wrong
Hopefully we both learn from it
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2019, 01:06:17 pm »
If you want the scanner to be sure to identify triplets you may need to tell them.  In the uplands of the north of England, they basically look to distinguish between geld (empty), one and multiple.  If they happen to see more than two they will call it, but unless you ask them to specifically, they don’t take the time to seek additional lambs once they’ve found two.

It may well be different in the south, but in the northern uplands, you need to be feeding twins and above, end of, so the job of the scanner is to filter out the empties and the singles.  They’ll be doing several flocks of 500+ each day, too, so it’s about speed too.

I will be sure to mention it this time,
There was no more surprises than me when I went to check on the twin the next morning to find another stood there

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 05:58:18 pm »
I have a new lady coming this time for half the price and been doing it a few years do hopefully she will be good

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS