Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducks and eggs  (Read 5126 times)

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
Ducks and eggs
« on: October 18, 2008, 05:35:05 pm »
Hi, this is a posting on behalf of Hilarysmum, who has no internet connection at present( she is not happy)
ok this is her question....
3 Aylesbury ducks, 1 male and 2 females. Every morning she cleans them out and removes the eggs, at night she again checks for eggs and locks the door.
Monday--- 3 eggs, 2 with white shells and 1 with blue shell
Tuesday-- 1 white shell
Wednesday 1 white shell and 1 blue shell
Thursday---- again 1 of each.

Ok she says can someone help please, why are the shells different colours from same breed duck and can they lay more than 1 egg each, each day.
Please help her!!!!!!

Carole

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: Ducks and eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 07:34:49 pm »
I dont know  ;D ;Dhowever on another forum have read that pekin ducks have been laying 2 eggs a day.............think we need a duck expert.           neil :pig: :chook: :cow: :dog:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 10:23:32 pm »
Well, they say you learn something new every day - I certainly didn't know any bird could lay twice in one day.  Ouch is all I can say.  Once would be enough for this bird, that's why I stopped at two kids!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wendyfayre

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 02:47:37 pm »
I hesitate to suggest this but has Hilarys Mum's oh possibly got a twisted sense of humour?

Dan could I have an alpaca smiley p l eeeeee ase 

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 07:28:23 pm »
Oh Wendy fayre,

She as in HM is hoping to be online on Wednesday, this was a serious question, well watch this space for her replies

I will be offline that day.

Carole

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 09:21:36 pm »
this was a serious question
Yes, I know it was - sorrry for being flippant.   ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 10:28:20 am »
 :D

Thanks Carol for putting this on for me, and thanks everyone for the responses.  Wendyfayre I did consider it might be OH, but he swears not, and I do date mark every egg as soon as I collect it. 

Dogandjo, check out the chicken forum here, NOT TO BRAG. 

Its great to be back.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 04:27:56 pm »
So lovely to see you back HM.  I of course am not surprised at the colour of your eggs!  Is there anything normal at yours?  I bet Hilary has has something to do with it though - no good blaming Martyn!

Kate xxx
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 07:04:23 am »
Aw thanks Kate.  Still getting two a day.  On Thursday we had one normal sized duck egg and a mammoth goose sized egg.  Edwina (GOS) who is benefitting from the eggs at present was pleasantly surprised.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 10:43:05 am »
And today I have not had a single duck egg.  That is not to say they didnt lay today they did.  Hilary's houdinis escaped into  the barn.  The duck house proved to be a rewarding exploration.  I thought as they first started exiting the house that the eggs were saved, but piglet no. 9 found them.  I heard the grunt, the crunch then piglet came out dripping egg. 

Houdini babies to good homes suggest not duck keepers......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS