Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: OMG - what have we done....  (Read 2672 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
OMG - what have we done....
« on: November 21, 2019, 04:33:47 pm »
Very unhappy lab here... got his balls taken off today... (this is my first ever male dog so no previous experience). When does the whining stop? He is completely thrown by this, doesn't know if he is coming or going, if he needs to go for a pee or not, just so unhappy.

He had Metacam, next dose due tomorrow morning. Will he whine all night?
I am feeling really bad about this, but he is not for breeding so needed to be done. (and I always do my male kids and lambs, so I am not unused to the idea at all.)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: OMG - what have we done....
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 05:54:37 pm »
To cheer yourself up, take a look at some of the you tube clips of cats which have just woken up from the anaesthetic to discover THEY'RE NOT THERE !!

When our puppy was done I seem to remember he felt better lying on a nice clean soft bed right in front of the fire.  I don't remember any whining, so maybe the sutures are tight, or similar.  How old is he, as that may make a difference?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 06:00:54 pm »
It’s not the specific op, it’s the anaesthetic.  Coming out of it and recovering from it is highly individual, and whining is a common symptom.

I’m lucky with Dot, she is a bit mopey for 24 hours and then jumps up like a jack in the box, says “Right, I’m better, where are the sheep?”  (And is then not impressed at all at the two weeks’ lead walks only after an op requiring stitches!).  But I’ve known dogs in the past who whimpered and whined for 24-36 hours.  Not usually longer than that though  :relief:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 06:04:10 pm »
You said that he doesn't know if he is coming or going..........sorry :-)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 07:13:05 pm »
Well that just had me laughing out loud.... Bentley is 17 months now, so it was time to do it... now lying in front of the fire and moaning, but he is eating treats, so I guess for a lab that means it's getting better.

I guess it is the anaesthetics as well...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 07:23:09 pm »
Yup, I agree it's the knock out drops.  I had Missy spayed on Thursday, she was a wee bit woozy when I was asked to come and take her home but falling about and shouting the odds (typical Brittany - they really get on their high horse if they feel offended).  Vet couldn't stand it any more  :roflanim:  She slept and moaned alternately on Thursday evening, but still jumped on my bed at bedtime and pushed me over to the edge.  Next morning she ate her own breakfast and started on Belle's before I realised - back to normal.  Keep her on a lead for two weeks they said  :innocent: - Ha, that's joke!!!  :gloomy:  A Brittany on a lead is NOT funny!  :rant:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 09:30:11 pm »

:roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 11:35:46 am »
.  Keep her on a lead for two weeks they said  :innocent: - Ha, that's joke!!!  :gloomy:  A Brittany on a lead is NOT funny!  :rant:
Yes Bentley thinks not going for a long off-lead walk is just unacceptable. He is also really miffed by having to wear a cone... but we can't risk him trying to lick himself, which he is doing the minute it comes off....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 02:55:51 pm »
Keep her on a lead for two weeks they said  :innocent: - Ha, that's joke!!!  :gloomy:  A Brittany on a lead is NOT funny!  :rant:

The two weeks’ “no jumping and minimal walks, lead only” was by far the most stressful part of Dot’s mastectomy last year.  And yes, she had to wear the hated inflatable collar and the t-shirt to stop her cleaning the wound. 

When I had a collie x GSD castrated many years ago, he too was an incredibly active dog and wasn’t going to cope with lead walks.  So I used to give him lots of brain work to do on the walks.  It was September, and one thing he learned was how to eat blackberries, which he then taught the other dog! 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 03:50:33 pm »
Oh well, Bentley knows how to eat blackberries, and no I didn't teach him... he just knew! It was a nightmare trying to combine taking him out and picking a bowl for crumble, he was so much faster than me!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 11:18:57 pm »
It's not the anaesthetic. Almost certainly it's an analgesic - and commonly now that is buprenorphine (an opiod) and frequently causes dysphoria. Its one of the sad areas of modern medicine and legislation where it is considered less valid as a drug of abuse than morphine or pethidine and less likely to be monitored as heavily. Dysphoria on opiods and opiates is common but personally I preferred to carry on using good ol' pethidine with a simple 4 hr duration and far les dysphoria than these longer acting substances that ocassionally really messed up a sensitive dog. They all needed locking up and recording anyway.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 01:28:42 am »
   :idea:  Just had to get hold of myself and do the Squirrels checks to see that Alison hasn't been at me , as I often fee dopey for hours from the effects of my chronic pain meds .  :relief:
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS