Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Types of Fleece  (Read 19065 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Types of Fleece
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 10:21:53 am »
Let us know how you get on  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 02:08:46 pm »
Hi!  Guess what Fleecewife - just been to feed my rams and my friend Molly who owns the field they are in has just spun a ball of wool from the clippings Anke gave me from my Bowmonts - its gorgeous, really soft and fine.  She also showed me how she did it on her spinning wheel.  She didn't card it, just fed it straight onto the wheel just like you said, so I had a go too.  A more uneven wool but would still make a good jumper!! Really enjoyed my bit of spinning and would think it will be really therapeutic after a stressful day.  I'm going on ebay later to see what price I can get a spinning wheel for.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 07:35:22 pm »
Whilst your on ebay why don't you pop one of those fleeces on and see if you can get more than the woolboard for them ;D

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 08:10:43 pm »
Ellisr, you read my mind - just need to go and dig them out of the sheep shed and take a few pics.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 01:21:03 am »
Hi Morri2 - How lovely that you have a friend who can spin and show you how.  It's wonderful, isn't it ?!? Lumpy bumpy jumpers are the best !  In fact the lumps and bumps even out once you've plied the yarn.  And you can dye your yarn once it's spun into any wonderful colour or pattern you want.
I so nearly bought some Bowmonts at Perth a few years back.  The fleeces were superb and I was positively drooling over them. Unfortunately they wouldn't have done well in our local climate so I didn't get them.
Having fleeces which can be spun without carding is such a boon - it will save you ages.  I have just a few I can spin that way and I love them.
Good luck with your wheel search - they're addictive too (I have three......)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 09:33:07 pm »
Thanks Fleecewife.  Have been looking today, not much luck I'm afraid.  They are quite expensive and most of those I can afford on ebay are miles from where I live - too far really to consider going to get them.  However, I'm hooked now, so I'm going to keep looking until something presents itself, hopefully sooner rather that later.  Watch this space........ ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 09:04:50 pm »
Our local spinners guild sometimes has wheels for sale, if people stop due to age, or if they decide that one of their three wheels is really not being used... Our guild used to have a wheel for hire for beginners - really good I learnt while I saved up for mine!

i would love to have a second wheel so i can spin in the grease, I don't dare using my fabby Lendrum wheel for this! But i think OH would have a fit if I suggested another spinning wheel...

if you are looking for second hand wheels it would be a good idea to have  a spinner with you to test the wheel before you buy, often the ones for sale on ebay will have been used a plantholders or other decoration for years and are of no use/or need careful repair. But maybe put an ad in your ocal paper - people have them in their house and never use them anymore...

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 09:29:34 pm »
Yes, a wanted ad.  Never thought of that.  I might put a card in the local post office and the farm suppliers too.  Thanks for the lead Anke.  Cheers!!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 08:12:54 am »
What is a reasonable price for hand carders?  A friend has started learning spinning and borrowed a pair to practise but I was wondering if they might be a reasonable christmas present for her?

She might be interested in a fleece or two if and when I get my shetland paddock tidiers, and return me either some carded wool to try felting or a ball of wool to do something useful with ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 12:01:34 pm »
right folks!  you have inspired me via this thread......

so is there anyone close-ish to me (Fife) that could maybe meet up with me and show me what to do here please (rubbish at written instructions!)?

I have a small shetland flock and want to be able to use the wool for felting and also spinning/knitting but have no idea where to start or how to prepare the fleeces.

I am happy to pay/barter for an instruction course.....

thanks in advance

Laura

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 12:05:23 pm »
Hi Laura I would love to help but am down near Biggar.  If no-one else comes forward closer to home for you, and you fancy a day out I will happily give you a demo.  There are also various felting videos on Youtube.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 09:05:03 pm »
Ellied - handcarders.

I can't remember where I got mine from but a quick trawl through websites - about 30 quid seems to be a general price. Not sure what your budget is. I prefer curved carders, but that's personal preference. Mine are quite chunky, but still very portable.

Now I would love to have a friend who would think about buying me a drumcarder.... but I can dream on...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 09:11:12 pm »
Laura, there is Twist Fibrecrafts in Newburgh, very tempting shop, but they do do tuition (not sure if they also do beginners classes or just individual), don't know what they charge. Also check if there is a spinner's guild in Fife - I am sure there is one, they are usually very helpful.

I am in the Borders too, so possibly a bit far for a day's tuition.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 10:42:36 am »
Thanks for the handcarder info :)

I have friends who were up the other day - one does felting and knitting from predyed fleeces and another has just started learning spinning and carding (the one I was asking for).  They are getting me interested in having the shetlands again and actually doing something with the produce (I'm vegetarian so the usual isn't much use to me!) as well as keeping them and tidying the land up behind the ponies..

I'm about 3-4 miles from Newburgh so might pop in and see what is on in the way of training too - eek this could be a whole new line for me..  :o
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 11:47:59 am »
Well, I've got my spinning wheel - its taken me two weeks to get around to doing anything with it and, quite frankly I'm absolutely rubbish!!   Have only just managed to spin a few foot of yarn (uncarded) with my Dorset fleece and I had to hand turn the wheel slowing 'cos using the treadle was too fast.  I think this is going to take a while - it will be next year before I get any nice woolly jumpers I think!   :D Any tips you guys??

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS