Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help for a newbie  (Read 1617 times)

Howell

• Joined Aug 2019
Help for a newbie
« on: November 03, 2019, 08:42:13 pm »
Im pretty new to this small holding bussiness with a few poultry and sheep... i have a dilema after bringing in 2 8mnth lambs that were lookin pretty poor 1 developed really runny bum and wouldnt get up... she was really dyadrated and couldnt stand... (i remembered this was one that had always been poorer than others and in summer suffered flystrike twice whilst with the previous owners then a month or so back was laid in field in a pool of poo... i brought her in then for a few nights and gave electrolites and she was fine and went back out...) anyway... at a loss ended up calling vet who didnt have much hope for her but gave wormer electrolites etc .... i stayed with her for 2 nights to make sure she was drinking and she brightened up... day 3 eating alittle hay and coursemix/nuts ... licking salt block alittle but drinking not too badly... problem is the poop situation is not improving and she cant stand up at all although she is showing signs of wanting to... i have started to prop her on a bale of straw to eat her feed and rubbing her legs etc and to dry her off ... she is caked up to hilt in poo n stinks... do i get this mucky fleece off her( this time of year???) I guess id have to watch her inside all winter then... having said that she cannot stand unaided at all...do i give up call the vet again.... more money... £124 for last call out makes this option not very economically viable do i just give in call knacker man ..... or as my consience is telling me to get the wool off her & reside myself to the fact i may have a paralised pet lamb with constant dioriah ???? Any advice is greatly apreciated ss this is a first for me and i really am at a loss . . .. shes been like this for 6 days now and as i say in herself seems better?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Help for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 11:50:02 am »
I wouldn't think that a lamb with this kind of history really has a chance to recover and thrive... fluke infestation at a young age will mean significant liver damage for example. Also if this lamb had a serious nematodirus infestation her guts will be damaged, possibly beyond repair. Reading though your post I would think you are prolonging this animal's suffering...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 12:49:10 pm »
From the story you tell, I would agree with Anke.

Also, sheep are flock animals, it is very stressful for them to be without the company of other sheep.

So sorry after all your efforts, but this little one sounds like a lost cause :'( and it is not really kind to her to keep her on her own.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 01:54:56 pm »
 I agree end her suffering now ,you have done your best for her but you don't know what internal damage has been done , did the vet speak about coccidiosis ?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 03:01:25 pm »
Sorry to hear this. I think you def need to do something asap. If she's been off her feet for a while I wouldn't hold out much chance of her recovering. If you want to spend money on a diagnosis I would ask a vet to come out. Personally I would call fallen stock and ask them to take her (and PTS) rather than spend money on a vet visit

Howell

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 05:11:40 pm »
Shes not on her own ive brought another in with her .... shes started dragging herself round today so i thought thats possitive but then its so sad to see im just so peed that my efforts look as though they were wasted as you all say we dont know if any long term damage done... guess its mr knacker then afterall.....
Thankyou so much everyone for your advice its greatly appreciated... i guess i knew the outcome but just needed soneone with experience to confirm it...
Now then another dilema .... thoughts on clippin my call ducks wings the little blighters keep flying into next doors which is more often than not locked up.... guess the pond is greener in the other side lol

Howell

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 05:12:59 pm »
Oh and another thing.... i really am a pest... how long should i leave rambos raddle on him?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 07:00:55 pm »
Part of owning animals is knowing when to make a judgement call like that, experience will help a lot with that sort of decision.

Yes, to clipping the ducks wings, or rather just the one wing, just the main flight feathers, if you google or youtube it I'm sure there will be examples of where to cut.

Why is your ram wearing a raddle? Once he's done his job and the ewes are marked I can't see why you'd want to keep it on - maybe change the colour of the crayon if you want to know if any of the ewes didn't take first time and came back into season?

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 09:33:24 pm »
Our ram had his raddle on until all ewes were marked. We then took it off and replaced it 17 days after the first was marked with a different colour crayon to check for repeats. Been on him almost a couple of weeks and no new marks so taking it off tomorrow.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS