Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What size vaccination syringes and other equipment?  (Read 992 times)

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
What size vaccination syringes and other equipment?
« on: November 07, 2019, 11:43:46 am »
after having 6 wethers to raise on to hogget over the past year, which are now in the freezer, we have just picked up our little breeding flock of 5 Devon Longwool ewes and a couple more wethers. They've had their first dose of Heptevac where they were bred so I'll be doing their second dose in a couple of weeks.

After reading on here about the sterivax system, I looked at getting the 2ml Mole valley brand gun and needles/tips. I notice that the actual sterivax version is adjustable up to 5ml, is it worth getting the larger one for any other vaccinations that might be needed or is heptevac the only vaccination usually needed for sheep?

Also, given that we only have 7 sheep and the flock will always remain small, is it worth getting a gun that has the tube for connecting to the bottle or just the one where the small bottle fits on the syringe itself?

I have an adjustable drench gun which was needed for worming/fluke last year so that's in the cupboard. I also have a 10ml and 20ml luer lock syringe with a variety of needles which we got when we needed to dose a pig with antibiotics a couple of years ago.

I have a couple of marking crayons and some purple spray.

Is there anything else to keep in the box that might be needed? We're a year away from our first lambing so that kit will be bought nearer the time.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 11:47:30 am by Justin »

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: What size vaccination syringes and other equipment?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 03:29:30 pm »
I only have my sheep vaccinated with heptavac, that’s the main one. I have the mole valley gun and never needed anything else really. Mine has the tube attachment then I put the bottle in a green holder round my neck. Just make sure the sheep are dry when you vaccinate as wet fleece can increase the risk of abscesses.

A bottle of blue antibiotic spray from the vet is useful to have, I’ve never had good results with purple foot spray. Other than that a pair of Jakoti shears are really useful to have. Sheep that aren’t in lamb are fairly low maintenance over the winter in all honesty.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 03:38:09 pm »
Also, given that we only have 7 sheep and the flock will always remain small, is it worth getting a gun that has the tube for connecting to the bottle or just the one where the small bottle fits on the syringe itself?

We have the fixed bottle one and it works fine. No tubes to have to sterilise and no wasting of vaccine either.

Do you have some foot shears? In general hooves are best left alone, but you'll have to trim one sooner or later.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 03:49:20 pm »
The sterimatic with tubes doesn’t waste any of the vaccine. The vaccine cannot be kept for another day so anything that’s left in the tubes and bottle after you’ve done all the sheep would be thrown away anyway. I’ve always found I get the full amount of doses from the bottle anyway.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 05:13:16 pm »
thanks for the replies. I'll get the standard mole valley one then.

I have some Jakoti shears already and we'll have the vet round at some point for a primary visit and care plan so will ask about the blue spray then.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS