Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ideas for temporary shed  (Read 3302 times)

richardtheboffin

• Joined Apr 2012
Ideas for temporary shed
« on: October 30, 2019, 10:55:36 am »
Looking for some ideas for a temporary (2-3 years) water tight shed/tent, for some machine storage.
Doesn't need to be particularly secure as location is secure but needs to withstand winter weather.
Size needs to be somewhere between 12x6m to 16x8m and I need an opening of at least 2.6m high.
Been looking at House of Tents. 2M wall height storage tents are quite cheap, but going to 2.6m doubles the price.
I've built many smaller sheds with wood frames and coraline bitumen sheet roofs and walls, but the size I need now starts to get expensive.
Wondered if a poly tunnel would cope? Could I get one big enough?
Any other ideas?

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Ideas for temporary shed
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 03:47:57 pm »

richardtheboffin

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 04:11:57 pm »
This says it has a height of just under 3m:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FoxHunter-Galvanised-Waterproof-Wedding-Marquee/dp/B004DW0Q78

A bit pricier but more robust:

https://www.cabinlocator.co.uk/buildings/product.asp?item=portable-barn-198-151
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-Frame-Temporary-Building-Portable-Commercial-Warehouse-industrial-Shelter-/263394953832

Not sure you'll get a polytunnel for a comparable price, and it'll be incredibly hot when the sun's out.
Thanks Dan. Will look at these.
Polytunnels look quite expensive anyway! Seems Dancover and House of Tents had the best range. Their marquee's are a bit low...

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 05:02:22 pm »
Just built a 11 mx4.5mx3.2m high shed from 4x2,8x2 timber and larch poles for the uprights and clad with poly coated gav sheets Total cost £1600. Assemble using screws and bolts and whole thing could be taken down and materials reused.

richardtheboffin

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 08:06:16 pm »
Just built a 11 mx4.5mx3.2m high shed from 4x2,8x2 timber and larch poles for the uprights and clad with poly coated gav sheets Total cost £1600. Assemble using screws and bolts and whole thing could be taken down and materials reused.
Yes, I've made a few sheds, about 5mx3m with wood and corroline sheets. Pretty cheap to do, but going to 12m x 6m it starts to get expensive...
Best prices for all year round robust tent type building (not a flimsy marquee) are about £1200.
I can get a 8m x 16m, which would give me loads of room, is about £2300. (£1.60 per sq foot)
Might strike lucky and find a stack of corrugated going cheap, but unlikely I think...

Dookie

• Joined Dec 2018
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 06:06:32 pm »
What about a silo? You can get them quite cheaply...

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 06:28:44 pm »
Might strike lucky and find a stack of corrugated going cheap, but unlikely I think...

We bought a load of box profile cladding very cheap from a local demolition company. Then we paid a fencing contractor to smack some deer fence strainers into the ground (i.e. longer than usual straining posts) and went from there. All in all, this was a pretty cheap way to get a fairly big shed built.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 08:17:43 pm »
This says it has a height of just under 3m:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FoxHunter-Galvanised-Waterproof-Wedding-Marquee/dp/B004DW0Q78

A bit pricier but more robust:

https://www.cabinlocator.co.uk/buildings/product.asp?item=portable-barn-198-151
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-Frame-Temporary-Building-Portable-Commercial-Warehouse-industrial-Shelter-/263394953832

Not sure you'll get a polytunnel for a comparable price, and it'll be incredibly hot when the sun's out.
But how would these stand up to snow? The covering seems to be quite loose...

richardtheboffin

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 06:00:28 pm »
Our local planning dept seems non-committal on the planning requirements for a 8x16m 'tent'. They want me to spend £100 to find out if planning permission is required!
We are in an AONB and Conservation area, but it's a temporary structure and I wasn't planning on laying a slab base for it.
I can site it 4m in from the boundary and the ridge is under 4m. It would be in the back garden.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 12:13:41 am »
Our mens shed used two old 40 foot truck containers  7 put  some 50x 50 hollow box covered in wriggly tin with truckload netting  across the back .
 At another place I've visited recently  they had two furniture pantechnicons ( sp?) 20 foot apart and had welded upl an 18 inch high A frame set ( 6 x off )  for the roof .   They used  self tapping high tensile TEC screws to fit three rows of purlins made of wooden planks & used  shorter TEC screws to fit wriggly plastisol tin on as a roof .

The back had a split curtain of green truck load netting ,  so did the front but the front  also had some blue water pipe cable tied to  the bottoms  and were fitted with two pulleys  & ropes on each curtain . So the front curtains could not only be slipped to one side a it to get in th shelter but they could be hoisted up out the way if & when needed. 

One of the best cheap shelters I've seen was  made of the massive square bales of straw , arranged as a letter U with an external door way at the back cut in using a chainsaw .
The roof was  simple home made  sterling board trusses  ,  made glued & nailed  at 20 inches high by about six metres in length , then glued & nailed on old roof timbers

They nailed a few reclaimed floor boards   across the trusses,  top , bottom & middle , blinded the apex with several layers of old carpet ,then covered the roof in a nylon hay stack net weighted down over several old curtain sider lorry side panels ,  that they'd  used as tarps.

Using old car tyres touching each other along the sides filled with a bit of soil in them for the weights .

It was five years old when we left the area and had stood up to some horrific storms without any problem .. the back door opening was the secret to not having the storm force winds  lift the roof off
 Another one made like that at the same place  was a lot smaller and had a flat roof  covered in curtain sider sides  which were weighted down all over the roof with single layer of small bales of straw ,
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 01:37:29 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS