Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yellow Rattle (YR)  (Read 1504 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Yellow Rattle (YR)
« on: October 26, 2019, 03:50:04 pm »
Reason for post is to ask whether any TAS members have introduced Yellow Rattle onto their land and whether it has got out of hand. (I suspect most members with grazing live-stock would not wish to see YR, but ...)

I had a welcome small patch of Yellow Rattle appear couple years ago.  However, seed did not germinate naturally the year after.  Many would say "hooray" at it's demise, but I was hoping it would take/spread for my purposes and I've just ordered 100 grams of YR seed to re-establish its presence.

HOWEVER, I am conscious that haylage/silage making neighbours would not welcome YR spreading into their fields:  my intention will be to closely monitor YR flowering/seed development and collect, as soon as (perhaps as a sellable seed crop) to avoid seed being inadvertantly transferred outside of my field boundaries by birds, mammals or super-strong summer winds, or whatever.

Any TAS members' experiences of YR propagation, seeding, migration/control would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:51:19 pm by arobwk »

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
Re: Yellow Rattle (YR)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 04:31:34 pm »
I planted a small patch in my wildflower meadow two or three years ago to reduce the grass vigour. It's spread a little bit, with my help, but not very far - a couple of metres maybe. I'd like it to spread more actually, I'll spread the seeds around further by hand next year.

If it's getting out of hand, you can just mow it before it seeds and it won't spread any further.

As far as I know, yellow rattle isn't poisonous to stock? I don't have any stock of my own...

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 05:57:50 pm »
I just take it as a sign of neglected and poorly fertile ground

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 09:52:45 pm »
Same as sandspider. Was pleased some of my seed took a bit of a hold and like seeing it popping up here and there. It's in an ungrazed or sporadically grazed bit, so bees and wildlife of more importance. I can't imagine it taking hold in a managed field to be honest.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS