Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too late to sow grass seed?  (Read 1781 times)

Prids

• Joined Oct 2019
Too late to sow grass seed?
« on: October 17, 2019, 09:53:25 pm »
Hi all,
It's wet and mild here in south devon so I'm wondering if I can get away with sowing grass on a newly formed paddock. Has anyone in a similar area tried it so late?
Any recommendations for grass varieties? It's sloping and wet in places. We plan to put the sheep on it in rotation but don't plan on fertilising, unless our friendly neighbouring farmer has any spare dung he can squirt our way.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Too late to sow grass seed?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 08:41:01 am »
Slugs and frost will be the biggest problem.  Talk to your seed provider for advice on varieties.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 09:28:31 am »
I've successfully sown grass in England in late October. Perhaps i was lucky because if the ground isn't warm enough for the seed to germinate it will simply rot. It should shoot and then stop growing when the ground temperatures fall below 8C. The grass wasn't affected by frost but it is important not to walk on it at that time. It may be a full year before it can be grazed without damage.

Down here the only time to successfully sow grass is October/November which allows the roots enough time to develop deep enough to survive the heat of Summer. We've tried sowing in early Spring but it all died off in Summer and didn't come back.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 11:11:09 am »
Contact Alison at grassseed direct, she'll mix up whatever varieties suit your grazing requirements and soil.
http://www.grassseed.co.uk/

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 07:55:10 pm »
Sept always used to be the traditional time for autumn sowing. This gave the grass time to get started while the ground was still warm from summer, and before the prolonged frosts of november. Now, with global warming, frosts start a lot later, so the ground keeps its heat longer, and the grass keeps growing sometimes into December. So - yes I think you'll be fine reseeding within the next week or so.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Prids

• Joined Oct 2019
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 07:32:23 pm »
I was all set to seed it but having checked the paddock today I noticed several springs bubbling up that have appeared after all the rain. It's going to need some drainage channels dug. There always seems to be a string of jobs that have to be done before you can do the main one.
This smallholding malarkey is hard work isn't it?! Good job I like hard work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS