Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Infertile ewes  (Read 2170 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Infertile ewes
« on: September 28, 2019, 06:53:14 pm »
Hi,
I bought 2 beltex shearling ewes at the market in September 2018.  They were in excellent condition and I put them in with the ram straight away.  They have been with the ram (which is proven fertile) ever since, so that's 13 months now.  They have never lambed or shown signs of abortion, so I was just wondering if there are ways to tell if a ewe isn't fertile.  They were in the breeding section at the market, but maybe the farmer knew they couldn't lamb which is why he was selling them?

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: Infertile ewes
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 08:37:17 pm »
I'm not sure how a farmer would know they wouldn't lamb, especially as they were only shearlings. I also had one that didn't get tupped or lambed last time but I will try her again this time .... and maybe the year after because I'm soft.

I did read somewhere that keeping them with a ram full time can get the used to the sight / smell of him so it is sometimes better to keep them separate in the run up to tupping.

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 09:03:22 am »
theres a possibility that they're too fat.  over fat ewes sometimes dont cycle. might need to go on a diet?

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 12:54:28 pm »
Yes I would say they are overweight now, although last year they weren't.  I'll put them on a diet and see if they lambs in the spring.  Thanks

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 02:56:12 pm »
Yes I would say they are overweight now, although last year they weren't.  I'll put them on a diet and see if they lambs in the spring.  Thanks

If you put some raddle paste on your ram you’ll see if they are being served. Likewise it might be worth fertility testing your ram if he’s doing the deed but they keep returning.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 12:14:18 pm »
I would fertility test the ram ,just because he has produced lambs in the past does not mean that he is still fertile . You are 100% certain they are female , I know it sounds stupid but it does happen that they are weathers or have both genitals .  If some breeds do not get pregnant as ewe lambs they are sold and  some may never get pregnant .  As suggested  put raddle on the ram and then you will at least know if the ewes are cycling

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 01:50:39 pm »
I'm pretty certain he is fertile as my other 12 ewes all got pregnant!  I will be putting a raddle on him next weekend when he goes in with ewes so I'll see then if these 2 are cycling.  yes, they are definitely female.  thanks.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 02:45:23 pm »
What are their teats like? I've lambed hoggs twinned to a tup, Sweet Petite was actually a triplet with a triplet ewe sister and tup brother. She lambed also. However, Henrys' Mum lambed triplets every other year (twins in the other years) and 1 year, she had 2 tups and 1 ewe. Bright Eyes was lovely! Beautiful temperament! However, for 3 years straight i ran her with the 3 tups we had around the place, Dorset Down, Bleu Du Maine and Lleyn! Sniff, snort, play! NOT one made any effort to pounce. This was back in the day when I could part with 'Has beens'. She went for meat!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 07:04:26 pm »
I would raddle now and see what happens, failing that try a different ram or sell/cull them.. Could just be that the ram doesn't like them, or they don't like him, or as you suspect, they are just not cycling?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 08:37:45 am »
I would raddle now and see what happens, failing that try a different ram or sell/cull them.. Could just be that the ram doesn't like them, or they don't like him, or as you suspect, they are just not cycling?

Agree with the above or can you try a different tup? You know yours works but as above maybe he doesn't like them. Are they all beltex?

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 06:41:24 pm »
If its any morale support, my shearling who was never tupped or lambed last time scanned with twins yesterday - glad I kept her and tried again!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS