Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boer Goat Bleeding  (Read 2593 times)

Court Farm

• Joined Sep 2019
Boer Goat Bleeding
« on: September 26, 2019, 02:48:01 pm »
I have 2 female boer goats that i have had for 8 years now, they are free range on 21 aches, fed in the winter from Oct- Feb/March, grazing in the summer. Wormed monthly with Verm-X.   About 2 years ago one of the girls (Thelma) hemorrhaged about a pint of jellied blood from the Vulva.  (No blood in her urine). The vet was called, gave her antibiotics but ultimately came to no clear conclusion of what it was.  They thought it was an mis-carriage, there is no way any Buck has been near either of them. We then thought a kick from one of the horses, but no marks on the skin, or signs of a knock. No sores, no cuts.  After a couple of days she was back to normal. 
About 6 mths later the same goat (Thelma) bleed again, about a cup of darker blood. This time there were no side effects at all, she continued to sleep, eat and dance like the crazy goat she is.  Next,  again about 6 mths later the other goat (Louise) bleed a bit, about a cup full, again no side effects.  Now Thelma has started bleeding again, she is eating and acting completely normally.    I have spoken to vets, knowledgeable goat owners, googled, checked books and there seems to be no clear view of what this could be.  I am taking them both to the vet on Monday for a check-up, but has anyone any experience of this or any ideas?     

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Boer Goat Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 04:53:57 pm »
Could bursting?
Btw, Vermex is not a wormer, but if you have these girls in 21 acres and these are the only two goats around (no sheep?), I would think worms are not an issue. Fluke may be, but again you would have encountered it before and would have known about it.

Court Farm

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 04:22:51 pm »
Interesting, not sure what bursting is, but a quick search, would it not be a puss as well as blood? wouldn't it smell?
very confused about wormer, it says its a wormer for sheep and goats (albeit herbal) I will speak to the vet.  And you are correct, there are no sheep.
thanks 

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 08:38:46 pm »
Interesting, not sure what bursting is, but a quick search, would it not be a puss as well as blood? wouldn't it smell?
very confused about wormer, it says its a wormer for sheep and goats (albeit herbal) I will speak to the vet.  And you are correct, there are no sheep.
thanks
I think Anke meant cloud burst, when goat thinks she is in kid, but i think normally a watery substance passed .
I think Verm-x is classed as a hopefully preventative than what most would use as a wormer,  read some poor write-ups about it for hens.

As to wormer, your vet should be able to supply a small amount, or buy a couple of doses (goats require double dose of most wormers), and if you can keep them of the main part of the land over winter, you should have clean goats and clean land, unless you have deer visiting?

Curiosity,  whereabouts are you?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 08:46:20 pm by Penninehillbilly »

Court Farm

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 01:36:26 pm »
Hi, we are based in Kent. I did use another wormer some years ago, but thought as the risk of worms is low, I would try Verm-X. However, I will revisit. I am a big believer in getting their droppings tested to see what they need.  We do not have any deer. 
Thanks for your input, vets tomorrow, I  can’t wait, however, I hope the vet is as knowledgeable about goats as he says!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 11:00:24 am »
I kept goats in my garden and the vet said there was no point in worming as the likely was so low.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 09:12:44 pm »
How did you go on CF?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS