Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Line breeding  (Read 3864 times)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Line breeding
« on: August 25, 2019, 06:11:14 am »
I'm sorting out which goats I can send to which of my friends bucks.What are the rules, what's ok and what's not.
From things I've read don't put brothers on sisters, sons on Mum's, dad's on daughters but otherwise anything goes!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Line breeding
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 08:51:06 am »
When the results are good it is line breeding and when bad it is inbreeding. 

The idea is to know what faults are in the lines and try not to breed too close to them.  So if you know a goat had a slightly out of true mouth do not put it with another, further down the line, that you know is also from a goat with a slightly wonky mouth as you are doubling up the chances of "fixing" wonky mouths in your goats.

If a goat has an exceptionally good udder and no glaring faults then I would breed closer to "fix" the good udder trait.

You stand the chance of hidden genetic traits coming out but as long as you are prepared to cull anything that inherits really bad stuff then breed as you wish.

I have often gone back to grandfather if he throws what you require.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 08:56:33 am »
So a buck  on his half-aunties is ok.Their Dad is his grand-dad, his mum is their half-sister.The bucks I've used till now are all champion angoras so not really any obvious faults.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 11:04:11 pm »
So a buck  on his half-aunties is ok.Their Dad is his grand-dad, his mum is their half-sister.The bucks I've used till now are all champion angoras so not really any obvious faults.

We used to breed small mammals  as a business , I had to learn a lot about genetics and breeding .  Being small mammals we had a short  gestation period so over six or more generations we could see the effect of  in breeding to a degree.
 It might not show in their appearance or bone structure but it can  show as  early deaths , arthritic joints  mental problems , stress , and a whole host of things.

It's good to bring in  a totally unrelated by at least seven lines  billy once in a while to revitalize the cross breed vigour as line breading and close relative breeding  tends to weaken the strain  over several generations without it initially being recognised . When you have a business where the problems show suddenly you've lost it .

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 07:16:40 am »
A couple of the big angora breeders have recently organised importing South African embryos to revamp the national herd.  The bucks are selling for thousands, way out of my league.Some of my does will be visiting a friend's buck, just trying to learn what's a allowed and what's not.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 10:04:58 pm »
Thank you, (I think - I'll reread that several times at a more awake time of day)
Why would it be ok to breed full siblings and not half siblings?

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 10:40:49 pm »
Thank you, (I think - I'll reread that several times at a more awake time of day)
Why would it be ok to breed full siblings and not half siblings?

My understanding from that link was half siblings is fine, what is not ok is father to daughter where they are also half siblings. ie any female from breeding son back to mother. So you wouldn't put the Male back to his sister daughter haha sounds a little disturbing!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 03:36:32 pm »
AA to CC =ACfull siblings  AC to AC = AA, AC, CA or CC
AA to DD =ADso half siblings   AC to AD = AA, AD, CA or CD more diverse than full siblings.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 08:47:02 pm »
Doesn't make much sense to me that half siblings is a no-no and full siblings is ok but it's a totally academic question anyway as I wouldn't ever put any kind siblings together.I'm not trying to rescue an endangered breed or create a herd from one male. 
Thank you for an interesting article but not really the info I need.
I'm trying to work out which of my friends champion bucks can breed with my does and if I can save some stud fees by using my own buck kid on a couple of them.

DrMunns

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 10:26:50 pm »
Brian plummers book are quite good at explaining line breeding simply. He is on about dogs but the principal is the same

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS