Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preppers  (Read 7198 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Preppers
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 04:32:49 pm »
I've got a Brexshit cupboard.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 06:11:24 pm »
Lambing in winter means we honker down, bread flour, butters, tinned toms, beans, uht milk, sugar puffs etc! Few years ago, I was wakened by a beep! House was On fire!!

Fire inspector couldn't understand why we needed so much food in stock, after all, Tesco is 5 min car journey away!!

Long story short, 72 litres of uht milk does not extinguish mass flames though sugar puffs become a fabulous lumpy bumpy blob (took me a while to realise what had exploded as I had heard several pops!!)

A comment off one person, when sorting out the ruined freezers was "are you expecting Armageddon?"

Two weeks of eating nothing but tinned peas, spuds and canned meat due to no cooking facilities has put me off them for life!!

Brexit supplies are in though - Drugs for dog!! Very important! dog food, (note how dog comes first!!) Drugs for me, in the form of paracetamol! (Bad back). Bread flour, butter, butter, butter, uht milk, several kilo pasta, tinned toms, baked beans! That's it. Spuds in storage and meat in freezer. I think we'll be ok...........
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2019, 08:18:16 pm »
Wow Cloddopper that really sounds impressive and an awful lot of work, not something I'd want at the moment as busy with craft business, cheesemaking and having to cook everything from scratch (gluten intolerant). :tired:

We have an 80 mile round trip to nearest Tesco, so I too tend to stock up and bulk buy things. The worrying thing for me re Brexit is lack of fresh food and I haven't sown any winter lettuce, but it might all come to naught. :thinking:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 08:27:29 am »
My youngest is allergic to most foods so everything is meat, fish, fruit and veg, cooked from scratch.
I bought up the last tinned tomatoes in the county without added citric acid which he's allergic to... 50 odd, not brexit related but am no stranger to the looks and comments at the till!

I'm stocking up on olive oil and gluten free oats as these are our household staples and can imagine olive oil shortages/tax increase and there are some good offers on at the moment. Gluten free is a middle class luxury to some people but essential to us. Organic means I don't feel guilty, but if imports are tricky demand for the very limited uk supply will shoot price up.

I think it's likely there will be some fresh food shortages in the foreseeable future. I have no idea how it will affect stuff like heating oil or petrol but probably worth getting a bit extra just to ride out any bumps.

Ive also bought a 2kg stash of soap from France which is fab, three ingredient stuff which lasts for years. Just in case tax or whatever would create a hold up in future. Turns out if you eat healthily you don't need shampoo or deodorant.

Profile deleted

• Joined Sep 2019
  • Profile deleted
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 12:34:43 pm »
It struck me , after the last bout of snowy weather in the UK (which affected the South West too) how the fresh fruit and veg availability in the supermarkets took two weeks to recover fully.   This is due to the just in time supply chain being disrupted due to road closures etc.  In some parts of the US prepping can be seen more of a resilience effort.  They are subject to hurricane, tornado , snow events and earthquake.  With bigger distances , logistics can be more difficult than in the compact UK. 
We have a few resilience tricks : Multifuel stoves with stockpiles of wood and low sulphur coal, a well with drinkable water, rechargeable lighting and good larder.
As the next step, I want to get a new incomer supply plug and isolation  switch from mains incomer , so I can energise my consumer unit from a local source e.g. a 3KVA gen.  Good enough for lights , security, entertainment and central heating.  Reading between the line, I think blackouts my become more frequent in the near future

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 08:13:33 pm »
Really interesting thread!Twelve years ago we lived on an estuary that had flooded the houses previously.  I used to keep bottled water and supplies on the top floor of the house.  At the time I thought I was being overcautious then I discovered that most of the neighbours did the exact same.Now living in Scotland in a rural area I think it is wisdom to keep supplies in. Especially the basics and of course loo rolls!!!Whatever Brexit or the winter might bring it pays to be prepared.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 12:47:59 pm »
I'm stocking up on French and Italian wines and cheeses  :excited: :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 03:47:05 pm »
Having just discovered a very nice New Zealand wine at Aldi I will be stocking up on that instead.

Profile deleted

• Joined Sep 2019
  • Profile deleted
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 12:08:09 pm »
You might find it easier to source New Zealand stuff after Brexit.   

I find it difficult to stockpile wine anyway   :trophy:

Profile deleted

• Joined Sep 2019
  • Profile deleted
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 12:48:30 pm »
Those of us with lots of space have more choices.  We are lucky enough to have a well and have installed above ground rain water storage, which we want to take over 6,000 litres.  New capacity will be collocated with the new polytunnel.
I have a timber store and ironmongery for spares too.
Resilience is a good thing.  But I believe its the incompetence of HM Gov and its quangos that poses the biggest threat, followed by weather events
Anyone got any unusual and imaginative ideas ?  (no firearms or Brexit related stuff please)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2020, 06:30:54 am »
I'm interested to know if any TAS members are, or have been, of are thinking of becoming preppers? Its purely for my own interests to know probably because I am seriously considering it in the face of whats going on 'out there'. Husband and I decided to buy ourselves a dehydrator this year so we can dry a lot of the spare veg we grow. I'm planning on preparing 'soup jars' where I'll have onions garlic, carrots, green beans and other beans plus anything else we have that would be good in a soup as well as homemade jerky etc Dried veg can last for years apparently so if the power goes and the freezers die we can still eat. Of course if we really have only 10 years to save the planet then I shouldn't be prepping to far ahead :D
I guess you were right after all!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 02:10:19 pm »
I'm interested to know if any TAS members are, or have been, of are thinking of becoming preppers? Its purely for my own interests to know probably because I am seriously considering it in the face of whats going on 'out there'. Husband and I decided to buy ourselves a dehydrator this year so we can dry a lot of the spare veg we grow. I'm planning on preparing 'soup jars' where I'll have onions garlic, carrots, green beans and other beans plus anything else we have that would be good in a soup as well as homemade jerky etc Dried veg can last for years apparently so if the power goes and the freezers die we can still eat. Of course if we really have only 10 years to save the planet then I shouldn't be prepping to far ahead :D

I was, wasn't I - not something to boast about though  :-\ I'm astonished how suddenly masses of people have turned to growing their own veg, there is a real lack of seeds, sets and seed potatoes.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 03:14:16 pm »
I've done what I've tried before - had potatoes sprouting in the veg cupboard so I've planted them.  No idea what variety but they'll grow I'm sure.

Also just had a volunteer drop off some plants for me and included some lettuce seeds.  Just off out to take them into the garden now they've been sitting a while
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 11:35:59 pm »

I was, wasn't I - not something to boast about though  :-\ I'm astonished how suddenly masses of people have turned to growing their own veg, there is a real lack of seeds, sets and seed potatoes.

And multipurpose compost!  This year we got ours from a farm about 40 miles away, and I thought I had enough for the year.  Now I realise I need more for potting on, and we're not allowed to fetch it!  Back to sieved molehills again!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2020, 04:36:47 pm »
The silly thing is a lot of sellers are not working! I always get seeds from the same company (premier seeds) on ebay. They are not working- why????
They would make so much money now! We sell wool - the shop is closed but we sell 3 times as much online as normal! All the sellers say the same!

I've been growing vegetables for years and I still have most seeds I need form last year - all I need is perpetual spinach. Need to plant more courgettes today - not all sprouted. No cucumbers sprouted at all - maybe the seeds are old? I'll plant another variety as I still have them too.

I'm glad I bought 3 bags of chicken feed couple of weeks ago - the shop run out now!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS