Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beef Calves  (Read 2150 times)

VBur

• Joined Aug 2019
Beef Calves
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:15:37 pm »
Hello All,
I am actively repairing a small farm for some livestock, i am interested in raising beef calves probably from weaned to 18-20months old. Its very hard to gather information on typical vacciantaions/worming/any other medication cattle need scheduled. Can anyone help?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Beef Calves
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 01:00:12 pm »

A lot of it depends on your management and setup so for example what one farmer does with his cattle can be irrelevant to you.

I can't stress enough how important it is to know the history and management of the calves before you get them- ensure they are from high health herds with no Johnes, IBR, BVD, low risk TB herds if you are in a low risk area yourself (your neighbour will not take kindly to you bringing in calves from a high risk area in the UK) and have had adequate colostrum at birth. Then talk to your farm vet who will be able to draw up a good health plan to incorporate vaccination, worming and fluke dosing and routine treatments.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 01:15:16 pm »
You are braver than me getting into beef the way the market is at the moment.

The person losing the most money at the moment is the person doing the finishing.  When we stopped rearing beef from out dairy herd we went onto buying in batches of calves aged 3/4 weeks old.  We sold them on aged 6/7 months and made far more money than we ever did raising our homebreds to finishing.

Buying in batches and not mixing them helped with disease prevention.  A calf from here and one from there every few days really is a recipe for infection getting in and taking hold.

Good luck.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 03:49:03 pm »
You are braver than me getting into beef the way the market is at the moment.

The person losing the most money at the moment is the person doing the finishing.  When we stopped rearing beef from out dairy herd we went onto buying in batches of calves aged 3/4 weeks old.  We sold them on aged 6/7 months and made far more money than we ever did raising our homebreds to finishing.

Buying in batches and not mixing them helped with disease prevention.  A calf from here and one from there every few days really is a recipe for infection getting in and taking hold.

Good luck.

The whole beef job is on the floor... good continental suckled calves selling for less than it costs to keep a cow for 12 months  :rant: 

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 09:50:22 pm »
cows are easy.  Finishing them young will just mean you'll have a lighter carcass and less fat better to 30 months.  Cows dont need anything.  Buying well is the key point.  If buying from milking herd be aware of the high levels of welfare and hygiene.  Shouldnt need worming if on good rotation and high health. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS