Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tainted Milk  (Read 1275 times)

cmjl

• Joined Nov 2019
Tainted Milk
« on: November 23, 2019, 07:47:04 pm »
Could anyone maybe throw some light on a problem I have with my Jersey cow,she is about 10y.o and isn't in calf,about 3 winters ago I fed hay and her milk tasted awful,I ended up getting clamp silage from a farmer friend which cured the problem. This year,because I haven't many cattle on I decided to have my grass made into hay (forgetting the tainted milk problem),I have been rearing calves on her this year and put a new one on her this week whose dung was ok until my cows milk went through him-he is now scoured (and on Synulox ),the vet can't think of anything (cow doesn't have mastitis or slow fever)
other than see my farmer friend and get clamp silage again! The other strange thing I've noticed is that the cream doesn't settle
no matter how long the milk stands.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Tainted Milk
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 04:35:36 pm »
I would hazard a guess - when this happens with my goats it is usually cobalt deficiency, and usually a mineral/vitamin drench will cure it. No chance of Johne's?

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Re: Tainted Milk
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 09:45:00 pm »
never get good milk or cream on hay.  We feed hay/haylage.  I would have your grass samples analysed to check for low minerals.  I also fed organic all rounder nuts too.  I never had tainting though.  You can if poss get a milk sample checked you can organise this yourself or go through a local milk farm.

Im in an area of low Cobalt/copper area so be aware of the quality of the grazing/hay. Jerseys are low land posh grazing cows.  My milk and cream was awesome when she was on the herbal lay.  I was getting 50% cream in the jar.

Good salt licks and seaweed is another great supplement.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS