Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Golden Hoof to strengthen hooves  (Read 4466 times)

epherdwicks

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: Golden Hoof to strengthen hooves
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 12:24:16 pm »
My Herdwicks had a lot of foot problems when I first had them, mostly shelly hoof, but since using Golden Hoof they have been much better.  I put them all through a foot bath once a year and I definitely reckon it hardens up their feet.  Also if one has a bit of a limp I hold the offending foot in a small bucket of Golden Hoof for three minutes and that almost invariably cures the problem within 24 hours or so.  I think they know now that it is in their interest to stand still while I am dunking the foot, but it does seem to kick in after about 30 seconds and they have a bit of a wriggle to test my strength v theirs. Often just getting the foot really well soaked also makes it easier to see what's causing the problem or to clean out under the hoof wall. I would definitely recommend G Hoof - great stuff!

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 10:45:56 pm »
I would quote you Twizzel but it’d take a whole page! Understand they won’t be permanently lame if they have scald, i.e. after treatment would make them better. What I meant to question was were you saying that if they had scald they would permanently be lame (prior to treatment which should sort it out) as opposed to looking lame one day and improving the next. I think this is what you were telling me!
I got my Badger Faces in for inspection and foot bathing this week. Their feet were a lot better, although still to varying degrees. Obviously they’re a lot lighter which I guess helps. Getting the Radnors in again next week for a check up. Hope we can get them sorted and then keep up a good foot regime so they can stay and be comfortable as they’re such sweet girls!

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 09:27:50 pm »
I started using Himalayan rock salt too. We don't have any lameness but after winter a lot seemed to have cracked hooves or shelly hoof.

I haven't checked their hooves properly since but they do seem in better nick so hopefully there will be better on the next check!

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 09:37:59 pm »
I’ve now got the zinc Rockies and the holders - just got to find the best place to put them up now! Hope it makes a difference. We’re doing another inspection this week so will see how they’re getting on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS