Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe with mastitis  (Read 1477 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Ewe with mastitis
« on: August 22, 2019, 05:15:43 pm »
Help please.
Ewe kidded end of April, noticed she had swollen udder a couple of days ago, but her 2yr old daughter chases her away, caught her today. Massive and solid, managed to squeeze some gunk and clear liquid out, but can't shift the main lump.
Seems to be eating and drinking OK
I have Pan & Strep in, would that help or am I too late?
With goats uddermint can be used on some udder problems, would that help?
TIA

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ewe with mastitis
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 06:04:32 pm »
Depend on the temperature it feels, Hot and red you need the vet for AB'S  , Cold and blue  still need ab's and will eventually burst open and fall off , Sound more like normal pink/ grey and warm /cool with a hard roundish hard lump  , so damage done maybe at weaning  . Try your uddermint you've nothing to loose

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 06:57:51 pm »
Treating a ewe for mastitis at the moment, weaned her lambs, shut her in and a week later had a hard quarter. Udder mint is helping, vet gave her a long acting jab which has helped too. Anti inflammatories are a must. I’m not sure my ewe will heal, she is in a withdrawal for 40 days so will see what the udder is like after then but not getting my hopes up

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 07:22:28 pm »
Just got more gunk out, using uddermint, given Pen&Strep.
Thinking of keep trying a bit every hour or so?

I am thinking of bringing her and her smallest lamb into a small area nearer the house. But occasionally I put goats in that area (not in forseeable future). If I 'milk' her out onto the grass, any idea how long before it's safe to let goats through there?
I can't milk into a container, one hand holding leg up, the other milking.
Her udder is a bit warm, not hot, and she is a black sheep, so difficult to be sure of colour.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 08:45:03 am »
Since your ewe is eating fine and not looking miserable  then no high temp .  Pen /strep is a five day course , you could ask your vet about cow tubes to put up the teat and massage  .  If you sit her on her bottom then you can lean over strip with one hand while holding a container in the other , can't see the mastitis lasting long on the grass in hot or wet weather

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 05:16:20 pm »
Many Thanks is for the advice so far,  last few days I've only been getting clear liquid out, only a few squirts a few times a day. Today I got just a bit more solid grunge out, a few squirts, after the clear stuff and much massaging with udder mint
Udder still swollen, but not just as solid, I can feel various lumps now

Next question, thinking back to the vet telling me to keep up ABs for another couple of days (poorly goat), would it be safe to give P&S for another couple of days?

Any more advice on offer? Anything else I can DO.
She is still eating OK, is it OK to give her ewe nuts, (been giving a small handfull as a treat when i have been torturing her), will these make things worse or help her generally physically?
TIA ?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 08:52:32 am »
As in the above post pen strep is a five day course to get max benefit , but since your ewe is not poorly then its your choice .  Did you ask and try dry cow tubes up the teat ?   No a bit of food wont make things worse

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS