Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Golden Hoof to strengthen hooves  (Read 4469 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Golden Hoof to strengthen hooves
« on: August 04, 2019, 10:37:24 pm »
Has anyone used Golden Hoof to help strengthen hooves? Know you can use for footrot/scald but looking for something to help toughen up their tootsies. A friend has used it and says it’s good. I think they had some shelly hoof and I think we have the same sort of issue. I was just going to buy some Rockies zinc licks but now looking at this. Is putting them through a standard foot bath a nightmare? Note they’re meant to stand in it for two mins - can’t imagine any sheep being massively happy doing that!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Golden Hoof to strengthen hooves
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 10:54:18 pm »
Do you already put Himalayan salt licks out for them?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 08:17:51 am »
They have a multi-mineral lick which includes zinc. No Himalayan salt. As the weather starts to get wetter I’m thinking more about their feet getting soft, especially because of our terrain and the fact the grass is always quite long.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 09:08:38 am »
We now keep the Himalayan rock salt in all fields for all stock at all times.  We do add other licks from time to time, but need them a lot less now the rock salt is always available.  And the sheep’s feet are much better, no question about it. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 01:02:30 pm »
We buy Himalayan rock salt from our local Agri merchant for a 10kg sack for about £7.  They all sell it.  There are usually 2-3 big lumps in a sack, so we often split the lumps down a bit for sheep.

You just need a suitable container with drain holes.  We drill holes in an old lick tub and put that inside an old tyre for stability.  One lump that fits the tub will last several months - depending of course on how many sheep you are talking :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 07:28:56 pm »
Has anyone used Golden Hoof to help strengthen hooves?

Golden hoof is just zinc sulphate plus a surfactant (i.e. fairy liquid ish), so I don't see how it would help to harden hooves. What am I missing?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Mel

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 08:09:57 pm »
Has anyone used Golden Hoof to help strengthen hooves? Know you can use for footrot/scald but looking for something to help toughen up their tootsies. A friend has used it and says it’s good. I think they had some shelly hoof and I think we have the same sort of issue. I was just going to buy some Rockies zinc licks but now looking at this. Is putting them through a standard foot bath a nightmare? Note they’re meant to stand in it for two mins - can’t imagine any sheep being massively happy doing that!!
Same boat as you so can’t answer how good ,but I can answer how to do it.
I did it yesterday
I bought a foot bath Matt (£100)and set hurdles up tight to the sides,I do have two small gates for each end to run them through ,but you could just use two hurdles or wood pallets one to let them in one to keep them in,and let them out when ready
They just stood in it no problem, I also clicked them at same time they were stood in there.
Whilst very friendly sheep they hate being held(Kerry hills)I did try wellington boot trick first, first hoof no problem second hoof was like fighting mike Tyson so I gave up and did the above
Was so much easier,one of mine has Shelly hoof I am doing more as trying to prevent future episodes I also bought the zinc salt licks a few weeks ago,I have some general ones already set up
Th Matt Worked a treat for keeping them still and soaking there feet for the required time which can be up to 30 mins if treating scald
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 08:13:09 pm by Mel »

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 10:52:03 pm »
Well we got the Golden Hoof Plus and a good job as sadly our new girls feet are in a mess  :(
Separation of the inner and outer horn (so shelly hoof?), plus looked white between their toes so think scald as well. One had a crack vertically and just generally not looking great.
We turned the girls over, trimmed back loose horn (but not too much) and then stood them in the footbath for an average of a couple of minutes. It is a walkthrough bath. We imagined two of them standing nicely in it at at time which obviously didn’t work out. Then onto hard standing. Could feel the difference straight away - the feet were a lot harder. Also sprayed a couple up with blie spray that looked particularly sore. Will get them back in a week’s time to see how they are and probably retreat. Just hope we can sort them out.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 06:39:01 am »
Sally -what's special about the himalayan rock salt?  What's in it that helps their feet.I've always put out the zinc rockies and the sheep, especially the shetlands scrape at it with their teeth if they'd run out for a bit.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 07:19:53 am »
Well we got the Golden Hoof Plus and a good job as sadly our new girls feet are in a mess  :(
Separation of the inner and outer horn (so shelly hoof?), plus looked white between their toes so think scald as well. One had a crack vertically and just generally not looking great.
We turned the girls over, trimmed back loose horn (but not too much) and then stood them in the footbath for an average of a couple of minutes. It is a walkthrough bath. We imagined two of them standing nicely in it at at time which obviously didn’t work out. Then onto hard standing. Could feel the difference straight away - the feet were a lot harder. Also sprayed a couple up with blie spray that looked particularly sore. Will get them back in a week’s time to see how they are and probably retreat. Just hope we can sort them out.

If they have scald they will be lame (you didn’t say if they are lame or not). The bacteria that causes scald also progresses on to foot rot and lives in the soil, so you need to move them to fresh pasture that’s not had sheep on for at least 2 weeks or they will just reinfect themselves. But if they aren’t lame it’s not likely to be scald as it makes their feet very sore.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 07:32:07 am »
Sally -what's special about the himalayan rock salt?  What's in it that helps their feet.I've always put out the zinc rockies and the sheep, especially the shetlands scrape at it with their teeth if they'd run out for a bit.

Most unlike me, I don’t know what’s in it but I do see results.  It’s inexpensive, easy to get, easy to use, they need salt anyway, so why wouldn’t you?

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 08:38:32 am »

If they have scald they will be lame (you didn’t say if they are lame or not). The bacteria that causes scald also progresses on to foot rot and lives in the soil, so you need to move them to fresh pasture that’s not had sheep on for at least 2 weeks or they will just reinfect themselves. But if they aren’t lame it’s not likely to be scald as it makes their feet very sore.

Sorry. A couple have intermittently had a hobble that then disappeared. When we see a limp we wait and see whether it goes or not incase it’s something caught between toes or pulled a muscle or something.
I’m assuming scald because it was white inbetween the toes. But you’re saying they’d have been permanently lame if it was scald?
They’ve gone onto a fresh field but still with the gate open to their old field as this has more shelter.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 08:54:54 am »

Most unlike me, I don’t know what’s in it but I do see results.  It’s inexpensive, easy to get, easy to use, they need salt anyway, so why wouldn’t you?
Thank you for an honest answer, I'll take your word for it and get some next time I'm at the feed store.I expect the sheep will tell me which they need / prefer if given the choice.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 01:41:50 pm »

Sorry. A couple have intermittently had a hobble that then disappeared. When we see a limp we wait and see whether it goes or not incase it’s something caught between toes or pulled a muscle or something.
I’m assuming scald because it was white inbetween the toes. But you’re saying they’d have been permanently lame if it was scald?
They’ve gone onto a fresh field but still with the gate open to their old field as this has more shelter.

Scald is a wet white between the cleats - if you’ve ever had athlete’s foot, it’s just like that is when it starts.  Aka “welly foot” ;).

White that’s dry (and not flaky) is not a problem.

And yes, they do usually limp with scald.  But if they have scald in all feet, they may not show a limp - but should show a distinct reticence to walk, and may be seen grazing lying down.  (Grazing kneeling or lying down is always an indication of lameness.)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 09:45:09 pm »

They won’t be permanently lame and will get better once treated. But scald can be very sore. I normally give them 24 hours to see if the lameness goes and if not will catch and investigate. If it is really scald then rotate the pasture and rest it for a couple of weeks- I had an outbreak in winter a couple of years ago and each time I treated the ewes I moved to a new paddock. Pain in the backside electric fencing in winter but it did the trick.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS