Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Problems tagging  (Read 1755 times)

Shire1980

• Joined May 2018
Problems tagging
« on: July 14, 2019, 10:29:58 pm »
I've got lambs going away tomorrow and i'm having trouble tagging 2 of them.
I can't get the tag to go through the ear i've tagged a few already but just having trouble with these ones.
They're the last 2 slaughter tags i've got as well if i can't get them through could i just tag them with breeding tags and send them away with the rest of the lambs?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Problems tagging
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 11:35:01 pm »
In what way will the tags not go through?  Are you getting the male and female halves of the tag properly aligned before attempting to close the tag?  Are you between the two strips of cartilage in the ear and not trying to punch through the cartilage itself?  Are you far enough away from the head, but not too close to the tip of the ear?  Look at the ears you have tagged successfully and go for the exact same spot.  Do you have someone to help hold the lamb while you do the tagging so you can take your time?  If you are puncturing the ear with your efforts then for welfare reasons you mustn't keep trying, but seek advice.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:53:17 am »
Breeding tags or slaughter tags it really makes no difference at all, as long as their tagged. If going for slaughter I would only tag with the Eid tag and throw away the visual tag.

I've had tags that won't meet up when put in the plyers, its usually when I've put them in wrongly though, sometimes the plastic bends then and you can't use the tag again

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 12:24:14 pm »
Put the tags in the freezer to harden them if they have gone soft , tags absorb moisture over time so need to be in a sealed container with absobant bags

Shire1980

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 10:01:33 pm »
I tried again this morning and got them through first time.i think the tags must've absorbed moisture

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS