Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead weight of a cheviot lamb  (Read 2601 times)

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
Dead weight of a cheviot lamb
« on: July 07, 2019, 11:44:12 pm »
Hi guys quick question anyone know the average dead weight of a cheviot lamb. Born April killing in December. Our slaughter charges are quite high this part of the world so want to know what I need to charge per kg to cover costs and make my profit.
Thanks in advanced

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Dead weight of a cheviot lamb
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:33:36 am »
Lambs tend to kill out better at the start of the season and then the percentage drops as the season goes on and the lamb gets older. At the moment expect 50% kill out so basically half of Liveweight. Also depends on how the lamb is cut- boned and rolled joints you’ll lose the bone weight, and hanging time- they lose weight as they hang.

So it all depends on a variety of things, whether your lamb is 40kg as it walks into the abattoir or 70kg. Don’t be focused on the month you want to kill it, it ought to go when it’s ready and fit.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 12:33:01 pm »
Its a how long is a piece of string question I'm afraid.

Dependant on the weight of the lamb in december, which will be dependant on when you wean, how good your grazing is, worming program etc etc. It sounds like your trying to pre-sell the lamb before its been sent for slaughter, which IMO is quite risky. You want your customers to be happy and buy from you again, so you really don't want to over or undercharge.

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 10:25:30 am »
Cheers for the replies it was just to get a idea on percentage of weight loss. I have been breeding cheviots for a few years now and have never thought about the dead weight to live weight ratio of my lambs. Most were sent to the Local sale years gone by and sold per head and the odd home kill. Stupidly in the moment I have never weighed the animal before and after. Which would have given me my answer.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 12:29:16 pm »
Around 50% falling a bit as time goes on. Get them to 40kg.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 07:53:17 pm »
I'd expect a 40kg lamb to have a deadweight of 17.5 - 20kg. That's what mine were when I used to send lambs and get them back. Although saying that I didn't have a scales so the 40kg I sent them as was a guess! 

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 05:38:46 pm »
Thanks again guys 45% to 50% I'll work on as an average

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS