Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stopping chickens laying  (Read 4323 times)

clairea77

• Joined Jun 2019
Stopping chickens laying
« on: June 10, 2019, 01:39:42 pm »
I have four very happy chickens who each produce an egg every day. I can only eat 12 eggs a week at most so I am having to give the rest away.

Is there any way to stop the chickens laying so frequently? I don't want to over-tax their bodies unnecessarily by producing eggs I don't need. Do I just leave the eggs in the nesting box to encourage them to get broody? Or is this cruel when the eggs will never hatch?

Any advice welcome!

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Stopping chickens laying
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 03:53:42 pm »
No but you can give eggs to your neighbours. Then if you are ever away, they'll look after the chickens for you  ;D
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 04:03:09 pm »
Yes don't feed them - they won't lay.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 11:54:54 pm »

If they're in a pen and you don't feed them then of course they will die.  If they are free range and you don't feed them layers pellets or similar, then they will continue to lay because they will pick up plenty of protein and vitamins etc from the ground.
However, they will not lay in the autumn and early winter, so you are best to preserve your surplus eggs, by pickling or freezing, for use when you don't have enough.

Going broody is more of a strain on a hen's body than laying an egg.  She will barely eat, not drink enough, get little fresh air and exercise for 3 weeks, and will take a few more weeks to recover. Some breeds will go broody frequently, other breeds don't do it often.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 08:52:17 am »
There’s a happy medium between death and ad lib food. If they’re free range and you stop supplementary grain eggs will likely decrease a bit. If they’re in a pen, you can feed them less, best to give them other stuff like green veg, a big rotten tree stump, cut turfs to keep them active and pecking... eggs will tail off, but yeah, watch their behaviour, pick them up daily to feel condition and don’t let them die!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 10:42:34 am »
I was joking by the way!
You obviously still have to feed them something.
If you want less eggs why don't you get a nice looking breed that laysbless eggs?
Ifbyoir have no one to give them to then perhapsbstart baking a lot  ;)
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 12:12:27 pm »
I was joking by the way!
You obviously still have to feed them something.
If you want less eggs why don't you get a nice looking breed that laysbless eggs?
Ifbyoir have no one to give them to then perhapsbstart baking a lot  ;)

Yes I know you were joking macgro7   :relief: :chook:   and yes, baking is good for using up eggs if you have a waistline that will take it  :innocent:

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 04:38:57 pm »
...baking is good for using up eggs if you have a waistline that will take it  :innocent:
My waistline can easily take the cake, as it expands to suit.  It is the waistband of my trousers that struggle!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 06:11:49 pm »
Get yourself trousers with rubber band! Thats it! Sorted  :excited:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 06:31:10 pm »
My chickens will slow down laying if I add rolled barley into their feed ration. It doesn’t have as much protein so will slow down laying. But personally I keep mine on ad lib pellets and give the eggs away

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 08:25:09 pm »
I sell spare eggs - pays for the food.
As far as I know chickens can't digest barley? Wheat gives then quite good protein. I feed mine rolled oats sometimes. Especially in winter - keeps then warm and is cheaper.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 05:10:03 pm »
Pickle them. The eggs not the hens

Briggsy from Gower

• Joined Nov 2018
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 01:36:15 pm »
Fleecewife,

You mention freezing eggs.

Did not know that is possible, how would you prepare them?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 02:27:37 pm »
I sell spare eggs - pays for the food.
As far as I know chickens can't digest barley? Wheat gives then quite good protein. I feed mine rolled oats sometimes. Especially in winter - keeps then warm and is cheaper.

Poultry can digest barley; but as mentioned it has less protein than wheat and they need a certain level of protein for egg laying. So you'd find they would tend to put on weight and lay less eggs if you fed them much barley.
Best way to stop poultry laying is to feed new corn, recently harvested. It will put them into an immediate moult and you'll be buying eggs in no time.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 06:19:56 pm »
Give them less light - shut them in earlier than dusk, and let them out later, make sure there isn't a window in their coop, or cover it over.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS