Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Halter training in prep for showing  (Read 1432 times)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Halter training in prep for showing
« on: May 20, 2019, 05:35:50 pm »
Hi
Looking to start showing next year when our sheep will be shearlings

I’m wondering how people go about halter training and different ways people train them how long before is it too early to start them on the halters this year etc

Thanks in advance
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Re: Halter training in prep for showing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 02:50:01 pm »
All mine are halter trained. I actually found it much easier than I thought it was going to be although it required a lot of time and patience. I started by having the halter with me when I was sitting with the sheep, as they were nervous of it at first. Stroking them with it and giving them treats. Gradually I put treats in a bucket and the nose piece of the halter in the bucket too, so that as they put their nose in the bucket, the halter could then be fastened whilst they were eating. I used leather halters. When they were ok with that, I'd put the lead on and again with treats off we'd go. As I said this took time and patience, but I preferred to do it this way. My girls will all now let me put a halter on without any treats. Even though I don't show them, it's very useful. Good luck!
4 pet sheep

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 02:59:24 pm »
thanks for the reply

what age where the sheep when you started with them

regards

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 03:54:56 pm »
They were about 4 years old. I think the younger they are, the better. I wish I'd trained mine as lambs!
4 pet sheep

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 09:37:51 am »
Hi there, I think you can halter train sheep at any age if you go about it the right way.  In fact it you start too young the lambs might be more frightened of you and just lie down.  The trick is to start with a halter that is made of soft rope and has a very long lead rope.  This means the sheep can be far enough away from you to feel safe, and not intimidated by your presence.  If you can get the sheep to take food from your hand it will help, but it is unlikely when they are fighting the restraint of the halter.  The trick is resistance and reward.  Each time you put pressure on the rope and the sheep takes a step towards you, you have to release the rope.  This way it learns that coming towards you is a good thing.  Try to use little tugs on the rope rather than a hard pull and gradually shorten the rope so the sheep is used to being near you.  If you have any problems or further questions please ask away.  I have when necessary trained sheep the night before a show and won prizes the next day, and I only had the ram in my thumbnail picture about 2 weeks before his first show where he won and was reserve champion.  Hope this helps and gives you some confidence with your show preparation, they don't have to behave perfectly.  :thumbsup: :sheep: :thumbsup:

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 08:07:36 pm »
Thanks for the advice I was thinking of starting once I have weaned the lambs off the ewes and tup will come for food and are easy to get on the halter just never done it with the lambs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS