Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long does crovect stay in fleece to be safe for shearer??  (Read 1810 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Hi folks,

In our area we have experienced flystrike pre-shearing so with the hot weather a month or two ago we had a lot of flies and decided to crovect our 10 girls to be on the safe side.

My dilemma is that we are now on week 6 so they need to be re-treated but the shearer is coming in 4 weeks  ???

I could risk it and leave them but i would feel much better if they were treated but I obviously want it to be safe for the shearer so not quite sure what to do.

Thanks in advance

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: How long does crovect stay in fleece to be safe for shearer??
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 01:12:48 pm »
Talk to the shearer because some say they don’t mind.

And some say 4 months :/.

But at the very least, I’d think use the “don’t treat again within’ period.

And tell the shearer before they come, and also any crafters if you sell the fleece.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 04:19:57 pm »
I shear my own and wouldn't want to bathe in lanolin full of crovect after 4 weeks, but then I've seen collies fitting when they have encountered it and the effect it has on leggings... I suppose if there were any ill effects they would be attributed to a lifetime of bathing in crovect rather than to your sheep in particular so you would be in the clear?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 05:08:41 pm »
As others have said, speak to your shearer and see what he says?

Personally I wouldn't treat them this close to shearing, if you have 10 sheep you should be able to check them properly if the weather suddenly warms up. Maybe see if the shearer can come in 2 weeks rather than 4?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 11:56:21 pm »
I shear my own and wouldn't want to bathe in lanolin full of crovect after 4 weeks, but then I've seen collies fitting when they have encountered it and the effect it has on leggings...

It’s loathsome stuff alright.

Yes, it destroys leggings. Rubber gloves too.

I became highly sensitised to it when using it on our flock of 520 ewes and their lambs on the moorland farm, so now have to wear full protective clothing, including face mask and rubber gloves when using it. I get through a lot of pairs of runner gloves, it cuts through them really quickly  :o.   If I inhale it, my breathing is laboured for hours.

I ended up with two sheep unable to stand after an accidental overdose (not administered by me).  One recovered sufficiently over a period of weeks to be included in the flock I brought down here with me, one wasn’t well enough for such a long journey :’(. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 04:15:25 am »
With a similar number of sheep when I have had that 3 /4 week dilemma in the past, I have sneaked up to them daily and given a quick spray with one of the citronella fly deterrents used on horses or diluted jeyes fluid.  It gives some peace of mind And may make a difference,  and it does ensure you get close enough to the sheep to spot any strike early anyway.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS