Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Age to retire ewe?  (Read 2244 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Age to retire ewe?
« on: May 03, 2019, 02:43:20 pm »
Hi
My ewe lambed a couple of days ago, no problems, but little (white face) & large (b&w face) and wondering if they have different dads, she was put in neighbours field with a few tups,
Anyway, main Q, i think she is swaley x, poss a hebridean type?, 7 this year., wondering how long they can go on for? TIA

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Age to retire ewe?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 03:40:19 pm »
For me, it depends on the ewe's condition and if she has lost any teeth. Some of our Hebrideans have gone on lambing to 15 or 16, others have been retired at 12.  If there are other factors against her, then retire her, if she is a good ewe, then keep her til her teeth start to get loose.
With crosses, you can't know their genetic makeup, and often the lambs can be totally different.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 05:34:53 pm »
I have some aged 10 and still lambing while others are retired much earlier.  I get the impression that 4 or 5 is the commercial answer but I can't work out why.  I retire based on teeth, toes and teats and if they can't put weight on in time for tupping. 

I've read that a Big and little lamb in the same litter indicates that 3 were conceived but one was absourbed early enough for the placenta of one of the remainders to grow into the gap; big placenta = big lamb.
Never ever give up.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 06:44:33 pm »
The hill sheep around here get sold off at 5 or 6, but they go to farms with better grass and carry on until they're 10+. 

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 07:53:18 pm »
7yrs old is just middle aged even in a commercial situation .  Yes can be 2 different fathers

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 11:43:27 pm »
Hill and upland farms may sell 1-, 2-, 3- and 4- crop ewes (so up to 6 years old) as a product of the farm.  After that, they take more looking after on the hill, but could go on for another 3-5 crops on easier ground. In the north of England these are called draft ewes. We bought an occasional batch if we were short of replacements, or to bring in new proven blood. 

Ex-BH didn’t like to sell his ewes as draft, never being comfortable that they would settle in a new farm after their very extensive life on the uplands along Hadrian’s Wall.  So he’d keep them as long as their teeth and udders were sound, up to a max of usually 6 or occasionally 7 or 8 crops. At that sort of age (8-10) they’d be culled anyway, as his long experience had taught him that they would start to have problems if he kept them on beyond that.  Plus, as a commercial farmer with commercial meat types, they’d still fetch a reasonable price if culled while still fit.   I think a hill type bred pure can probably keep working quite a bit longer - I knew of a 17-year old Herdwick had just had her 14th lamb on the hill, one every year since she was 3 - but producing two Texel thugs each year on the hill is a big ask and the ewe needs to be fit to carry, produce and rear them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 02:23:34 pm »
As others have said, it depends on how well the ewe holds her weight over the year and how many teeth she has left. I let them carry on if they've lost a couple of teeth, but when they only have a couple of teeth left its not fair to expect them to eat enough to raise lambs.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 07:56:30 am »
Here's the scanning levels for my flock last year ---shows that production levels are pretty good until you get to 7 years old. However the incidence of mastitis etc rises after 5 years old

YOB   %
2011   160
2012   186
2013   183
2014   206
2015   194
2016   192
2017   170

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS