Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Acknowledge I知 prob being lazy but...  (Read 2340 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Acknowledge I知 prob being lazy but...
« on: April 14, 2019, 09:38:09 pm »
Looking to pick up a couple of weaners to fatten up over the summer.

I have a holding register for sheep/goats. Is there an equivalent for pigs?

Also is there a form for pig movements as there is for sheep/goats?

Just looking for basic info on getting pigs on site...

I知 in Wales. Thanks!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Acknowledge I知 prob being lazy but...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 11:25:39 am »
You need to have herd number which will be different to your sheep/goats flock number. This number goes on your tags when they go to slaughter. And yes, all movements of pigs need a licence. The vendor will do this. Register yourself on the eAML2 system. Movement of pigs on will put a 6 day standstill on your sheep/goats. Look on the British Pig Association web site for getting started with pigs.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 09:43:09 pm »
This number goes on your tags when they go to slaughter.

Unless you can buy them in pre-tagged though, right?  (just trying to think of things to make life easier!).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 08:44:12 am »
Have checked out the eaml2 site and will register today. So when pigs come to me I go on the site and register their arrival. I did an aml1 for the sheep but this was still a paper form whereas I can see the paper pig ones are no longer used.
With the tags - do I have to tag them (I do have a herd mark already)? The sheep came with tags that stay with them. Do the pig tags change each time? If I sent them to slaughter I壇 have to put a metal tag on them with my number though, is that right?
Also - is it okay for them to be in a field with an arc? Not indoors at all?
Thanks.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 10:33:33 am »

Once the pigs arrive with you then you confirm the movement within three day, which you can do on eaml2. The vast majority of movements are done on line via eaml2 but some people do still use paper licences with approval though. The electronic system generates the licence, a copy of which must be given to the transporter and is kept by them.

Pigs under a year of age can move on a temporary paint mark between holdings but they do need your tag before they go to slaughter.

Yes, pigs can live out with an arc.

Don't take offence - people are so easily offended on here sometimes - but you can't learn about keeping pigs by posting questions on here. Read up or go on a course. By all means use the forum to help you along but please do some more homework.  :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 10:35:19 am »
This number goes on your tags when they go to slaughter.

Unless you can buy them in pre-tagged though, right?  (just trying to think of things to make life easier!).

It is a waste of tags to use them on meat weaners as under a year of age they can move on a temporary paint mark between holdings. They then should be tagged with the holding number they leave to go to slaughter from.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 11:54:24 am »
They then should be tagged with the holding number they leave to go to slaughter from.

Or slap marked.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 12:28:38 pm »
They then should be tagged with the holding number they leave to go to slaughter from.

Or slap marked.

Yes, that's another option

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 06:29:20 pm »
Thanks all.

No offence taken :) I am reading up and researching as well. Tend to come here for clarification because I知 a worrier and want to make sure I知 doing things right.

Have signed up for eaml2 site and got my log on and re-read the pig keeper guidance so feel happy I understand the procedure now.

I got a paper flock holding register via RPW but can稚 see a pig equivalent, although it says I need to keep the same basic info. Gives me a good excuse to make a spreadsheet I guess!

Thanks for all the help again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS