Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP I've had a pig nightmare  (Read 5211 times)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: HELP I've had a pig nightmare
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 12:34:52 pm »
Sorry to hear about what has happened.  It must be heartbreaking. 

Unfortunately no-one on here is realistically going to be able to help with a diagnosis if the vets doing the autopsy cant determine the cause of death. 

The finger does seem to point at the grains in some way though.

I assumed that Tommy is not asking anyone here to do a post mortem, but merely asking if anyone on the forum has had a similar experience. Seemed a fair enough avenue to explore, seeing as the vets don't have the answer.
So a vet, who has seen the animals, carried out a post-mortem exam and has full access to laboratory testing facilities does not know the answer, so lets see if anyone on a small online smallholding forum has direct experience of 9 pigs dying in 24hours. 

I stand corrected....

If the initial question was "I have had 9 pigs die, what do you think they died of?" then your answer would be sensible. However, that wasn't the question and the post was perfectly reasonable. Not everyone on here is a smallholder, some have or work on larger units and there are vets. There will be smallholders who have experienced greater than normal losses too. To ask for help, experiences and advice is what a forum is about, is it not? To expect it to be a substitute for a vet it certainly shouldn't be but that isn't what this post was for.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 04:25:47 pm »
Sorry to hear about what has happened.  It must be heartbreaking. 

Unfortunately no-one on here is realistically going to be able to help with a diagnosis if the vets doing the autopsy cant determine the cause of death. 

The finger does seem to point at the grains in some way though.

I assumed that Tommy is not asking anyone here to do a post mortem, but merely asking if anyone on the forum has had a similar experience. Seemed a fair enough avenue to explore, seeing as the vets don't have the answer.
So a vet, who has seen the animals, carried out a post-mortem exam and has full access to laboratory testing facilities does not know the answer, so lets see if anyone on a small online smallholding forum has direct experience of 9 pigs dying in 24hours. 

I stand corrected....

If the initial question was "I have had 9 pigs die, what do you think they died of?" then your answer would be sensible. However, that wasn't the question and the post was perfectly reasonable. Not everyone on here is a smallholder, some have or work on larger units and there are vets. There will be smallholders who have experienced greater than normal losses too. To ask for help, experiences and advice is what a forum is about, is it not? To expect it to be a substitute for a vet it certainly shouldn't be but that isn't what this post was for.
I am not sure why you and LRR seem to have taken offence to what I have said. 

I realise the OP was not asking for a post mortem, but it was quoted as though that was what I had said. 

I am also aware what the OP was asking for with their post, as I had read it.  Despite that it was implied that I thought it was unreasonable for them to seek the opinion of others.  At no point did I say it was a bad idea to post the original question, I was defending the basis of my reply as I had been misquoted. 

Forums like this are exactly for asking this sort of question.  The point I was trying to make (and clearly did a poor job of making), was that whatever peoples opinion on here may be, whether a smallholder, vet, farm hand, stockman or whatever, it will only ever be an opinion.  It will never be as well informed as the vet who has seen the actual animals in question.  That is my opinion and I remain of that opinion.  That may not be your opinion, but it is mine. 

Of course the OP can ask for further advice and I have never said that should not do just that, but it will only ever be speculation and opinion, not a diagnosis - as I said in my original reply above. 

Blimey, I now understand why many of the newer members of this forum stop posting after a short while, as I feel like I am being verbally attacked by a lynch mob.  If you re-read my original reply, I would like to hope that you can see that it was well-intentioned. 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 09:43:49 pm »

I don't think either LRR or myself have either acted like a lynch mob or taken offence. We both merely disagreed with the second line of your reply to the OP.

Just because the vet's investigations weren't conclusive doesn't mean someone else might not have shared a similar experience or suggested another avenue to explore that may have helped solve the puzzle.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 10:37:43 am »
Once again you completely miss the point. 

The second line of my post said that a diagnosis would not be reached. I did not suggest that other opinions would not be forthcoming or useful suggestions made or similar experiences shared. 

To be criticised for saying something I did not say is not pleasant, yet you just keep reiterating the same thing as though I still said it.   

Why dont you offer some useful suggestions to the OP rather than continuing to criticise other peoples replies which is utterly pointless.  Nobody wants to read what your opinion on my opinion is and clearly we are not going to agree.   

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 09:01:35 pm »
Just wanted to offer sympathies Tommy. It must be distressing to lose so many in such a short time. I think as a smallholder you continually worry about your ability to look after your animals properly. I know I do as a total newbie. If this has happened to a number of animals, in different pens, I would look at the common factor. What have they all had access to that is different to what they’ve had before?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS