Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What are you planning to grow this year?  (Read 4569 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
What are you planning to grow this year?
« on: April 07, 2019, 02:36:24 pm »
What are you planning to grow this year? Anything new or same old?
-I'm planning the same tested varieties of iter squash - uchiki kuri and blue Hubbard - by far the best flavour of all pumpkins I have ever grown.
-summer squash - couple of different colours of courgettes
- cucumbers - trying and old American white variety this year and marketmore
- sweet corn
- tomatoes - not sure which ones yet probably mixture
- salad mix - lettuce lots of different mustards
- kale
- radish
- perpetual spinach/chard - a long time favourite
- beetroot
- chillies
- egg plant
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 03:51:10 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
Re: What are you planning to grow this year?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 05:23:49 pm »
I tend to stick with trusted varieties in the main but I am tring a new aubergine - Bonita in addition to Snowy and farmers long and a new cucumber Emilie. 
I’m battling with voles eating my brocolli at the moment, they take a leaf a day if I don’t cover them with a tub overnight and so they see gradually getting smaller.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 06:59:19 pm »
much the same old and less.. age and backache taking it's toll.Greenhouse yellow toms, chillies. sweet peppers and some lettuce/radish/spring onion/cuesOutside beans: polestar, climbig french and dwarf french            brassicas: savoy/greyhound, brussels and kale            sweetcorn, courgettes, carrots, some few peas for eating at the plot, parsnip.
I'm in process of building a very raised bed.. work at standing height which will have strawberries and asparagus and anything else I think of

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 10:56:00 pm »
Having had such huge problems with red mite over the past few years, and spent a small fortune on natural predators, we are cutting back this year.  No sweet corn (rats got that too), gherkins rather than cucumbers, no courgettes, squash etc inside the tunnel though might try them outside under a tunnel cloche. Only a couple of supports of climbing beans, one each runner and French, no beans for drying.  I wasn't going to grow tomatoes, but decided to change from my usual Sakura to Mountain Magic (which was brilliant last year), and Pomodoro which I've not tried before.  Any sign of mite and they will come out. A few chillis in the greenhouse.  Otherwise concentrating on veg which doesn't suffer from mite such as garlic, shallots and onions, leeks, salads, brassicas, beetroot.  It will seem odd to those of you in mild climes that I grow all those indoors, but that's the only way to avoid the killing winds.
Outside, potatoes, broad beans, a few peas, salads, carrots and more shallots.  Our outside beds have shrunk dramatically over the years and our appetites have also shrunk as we get older.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 11:00:58 pm »
I'm giving up growing runner and climbing French beans, although I may try out some dwarf French in one of the raised beds. I just can't get very high up the climbers with the result that the ones at the top go to seed and the rest of production slows right down.

I will also grow some more brassicas. Last year's purple sprouting broccoli did very well so I will probaby use another bed for a new crop. The cabbages weren't so good so I'll try something a bit different. OH loves savoy so I might give them another go.

I always grow squashes and will do so again. Also yellow courgettes which I feel have a better flavour.

Tomatoes in the big greenhouse and salad leaves in the small one. Radish and beetroot are a must and so are ruby chard. I also want to grow some Cavalo Nero - black kale.

My new raised beds are up and filled, firstly with part rotted manure and then with organic compost in a 2 - 3 inch layer. They are supposed to have flowers as they are near the sitting area but I may find the odd vegetable sneaks in. Beetroot has pretty leaves so are a possibility. I don't know much about growing flowers because I've always grown things I can eat. I'm toying with the idea of turning a bed into an asparagus bed because I love the stuff.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 06:17:03 am »
Having had such huge problems with red mite over the past few years, and spent a small fortune on natural predators, we are cutting back this year. ....
whitefly was always my nemesis. I gave up on predator solutions.. they somehow always flew away and left the whitefly behind because one has to provide some ventilation in domestic level greenhouses and one has to open doors to get in and out. Same solution - stop growing stuff the whitefly really like or rip it out as soon as they start. Aubergines were the worst offenders here.

Sweetcorn gets hammered by hares and pheasants and possibly badgers but I usually get around it by growing lots so there's some left. This year i plan to grow some fodder-type maize with it - not for the maize but as a distraction and a green manure.

I gave up on spuds - my severe level of endemic scab, having to spray for blight and then the sheer back-pain involved in non-commercial levels of growing: planting, earthing up, digging up, sorting and carting sack-fulls and watching them in storage - and so cheap to buy locally and as you say, older and eat less.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 12:43:30 pm »

I don't know much about growing flowers because I've always grown things I can eat.

There are loads of pretty flowers you can eat, such as the petals of pot marigolds, the flowers of viola and nasturtiums, chives and cornfowers.
https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/edible-flower-mix/tka2656TM?source=aw&affid=477705&awc=2283_1554723578_4dd3710c2e109e8cbb69314b0abfcfe0
This might be T&M's mixed edible flowers seeds for £2.99.
They would mix perfectly with some small veg and herbs for your flower raised bed and even smell nice

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 01:24:40 pm »
Most of the above, plus mizuna and trying golden frills this year. Outside will be trying salsify this year for a change.
We always plant marigolds in the Poly tunnel, it does seem to deter the aphids. Also going to try the paper cabbage white moth trick as mentioned the other day by pgkevet

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 10:56:57 am »
My favourites that i do every year are:
Vine Tomatoes
Achocha both giant and regular
Potatoes Dessiree and a new purple variety
Carrots
brassica mix
Giant Sunflowers
Spaghetti Squash
and i am trying sweet corn again. I have only done it once before but loved it.

I am trying some new stuff this year

Edible lupin beans
Mange tout
Chia
Sweet Peppers
Water melon.

I am trying to have this year be our most productive garden.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 11:14:23 am »
I took cuttings from my blackcurrents and grew them on in pots. I have decided to grow more fruit in what was my veg plot. This is due to losing so much to weather, pests. I will grow what we need in the pollytunnel and potatoes in tubs. I have 3 apple trees, strawberriers and  the blackcurrents outside. OH wants to make wine. I put a lot of work into my plot for little return last year, I know it was a very dry summer but the older I get the less able I am.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 12:17:17 pm »
I wanted to plant 2 walnut trees but never got a chance this winter.
Also am planning another row of fruit trees in a patrern - apple, sea buckthorn,  plum, apple, sea buckthorn, plum, etc. All different varieties. Between larger trees I'll put smaller fruit bushes - currants, rhubarb, other berries etc.

Also I have made my allotment into a separate sections.
Winter chicken run will be used to winter squash and sweet corn this year, poly tunnel for tomatoes but in winter for chickens too. Chickens will spend summer in another bigger fenced area.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 07:09:47 am »
We're keeping it very simple with a view to growing what saves us money. So on the compost heap we have courgettes and self-seeding squashes. In the vegetable plot we have three varieties of onions, salad and main crop potatoes, two varieties of tomatoes (which we will take cuttings from for a later crop), beetroot, carrots, leeks, French beans and a few cabbage (to try the decoy butterflies on). Parsnips will go in the salad potato bed as a Winter crop.

The big issue here is water, so we'll see what happens this year.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 11:46:17 am »
I wanted to plant 2 walnut trees but never got a chance this winter.
Also am planning another row of fruit trees in a patrern - apple, sea buckthorn,  plum, apple, sea buckthorn, plum, etc. All different varieties. Between larger trees I'll put smaller fruit bushes - currants, rhubarb, other berries etc.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the sea buckthorn [member=156019]macgro7[/member] .  Did you get a thornless variety?  Loads grows along the coast in E Lothian but it's agony to pick because of the spikes, and it doesn't separate from the twigs easily either.  I thought it would do well here because although we are about as far from the sea as you can get in Scotland, it's very windy and they put so much salt on the roads that we might as well be on the coast

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 09:42:45 pm »
I never got them yet, but am planning to get high fruiting varieties.
As far as I know the best way of harvesting then is to put whole branches in the freezer and then shake of the frozen berries

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 11:31:36 pm »
I'm giving up growing runner and climbing French beans, although I may try out some dwarf French in one of the raised beds. I just can't get very high up the climbers with the result that the ones at the top go to seed and the rest of production slows right down.

I will also grow some more brassicas. Last year's purple sprouting broccoli did very well so I will probaby use another bed for a new crop. The cabbages weren't so good so I'll try something a bit different. OH loves savoy so I might give them another go.

I always grow squashes and will do so again. Also yellow courgettes which I feel have a better flavour.

Tomatoes in the big greenhouse and salad leaves in the small one. Radish and beetroot are a must and so are ruby chard. I also want to grow some Cavalo Nero - black kale.

My new raised beds are up and filled, firstly with part rotted manure and then with organic compost in a 2 - 3 inch layer. They are supposed to have flowers as they are near the sitting area but I may find the odd vegetable sneaks in. Beetroot has pretty leaves so are a possibility. I don't know much about growing flowers because I've always grown things I can eat. I'm toying with the idea of turning a bed into an asparagus bed because I love the stuff.

My beds are 36 ich high  , the trianglur collapsable frame I use to grow blue lake climbing french beans is eight foot tall . when the triangle is set a foot or so in the bed I can't reach the top beans either unless I get a set of steps .

Here's what I used last year ...   Used epoxy resin to glue a hooked Stanley knife blade into a stick ensuring the bottom hook is hiddden inside the stick (aka an old  broom stick with a slot cut in the action end )  . 

Once it's set& cured  for say 48 hrs use it to  hook the stalk of the highest of beans and give the stick a sharp tug to sever the stem ...gravity takes care of the rest .
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 04:18:01 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS