Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame lamb  (Read 1037 times)

FrankieDurleigh

• Joined Mar 2019
Lame lamb
« on: March 23, 2019, 11:10:11 am »
Hi all, new to the forum and new to rearing lambs.
I am an Amateur shepherd, I have a flock of 7 adult sheep and got asked by my local farmer if I’d like some lambs that have been rejected by their mother. I agreed as I thought this would be a new way of caring and raising some friendly sheep on the holding.

I’ve taken on a 2 week old ewe lamb who is a bundle of fun and is very well.
The second lamb is just over a week old and has been very well until one morning I woke to find she was severely lame....spoke to the farmer who said it could be joint Ill and put her on antibiotics ASAP - which she is, she’s on penstrep.
Day 2 of antibiotics and there is no improvement, so I’m wondering if it’s a strain or sprain of the shoulder? There’s no heat or swelling and I can’t find anything in her feet.
She is eating well and still full of beans.

Just wondering peoples experience of front leg lameness and does joint Ill come on that quickly and if after 2 days the antibiotics should be taking effect.

Many thanks,
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:13:35 am by FrankieDurleigh »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Lame lamb
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 07:26:00 pm »
Sorry never saw this post , I assume by now things have changed ??   pen strep is normally a 5 day course  . Joint ill normally affects the knee or shoulder / hip joint and can vary from a limp to a pus filled joint .   If pus and swelling is involved  then not a good prognosis  , but if just a limp and treated quickly then recovery is good .  Joint ill is a coverall for many different types of infection

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Lame lamb
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 06:21:29 am »
I missed this too.  My joint ill case last year needed 12 days of pen strep.  As she was improving the vet said keep going for up to two weeks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS