Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kindly advice needed please  (Read 1807 times)

AnimalMadinAdrigole

• Joined Jan 2019
Kindly advice needed please
« on: March 24, 2019, 04:14:38 pm »
Hi all

I have four orphan lambs coming up for a year old, one ewe and three wethers. I've been feeding them since they were a week old and they came to live (as pets) at about 8 weeks of age and were burdizzo'd then. All has been going well, they're thriving and are the males are pretty big with the female just behind in size. We've bought some extra land for them and the four goats we have so they'll have a large space to live and will be getting a new stable so they can be separated from the goats around food.
One of the wethers has become rather attached to the youngest goat and is quite protective of him around the other goats and actually butted me when I was in the shed with them. He then went to do it again but missed and he only did it when the young goat was between us. Then there was nothing for a long while so forgot all about it.
Two weeks ago I was sitting on a rock on our land where there is a ledge with a small drop which leads to a slope going down to the bottom and the goats were all around me. I realised the young goat was next to me and turned around to see Fatty the sheep behind me. Knowing that this wasn't a good position to be in I went to get up and move away and then went flying down the slope. I went to get up and was hit again, fortunately where I landed the next time there was a branch so I picked it up and tried to hit him as we was about to come again. I couldn't get a proper grip and as he took two steps forward again I managed to put the branch against his throat and he didn't move. My hubby heard me calling and came and got me followed by my big goat who chased them all away.
Basically I have been in hospital with fractured ribs, double pneumonia and pleurisy.
My question is this, if this is him reaching maturity, will he calm down or will he always need to be watched? I've been criticised by friends and neighbours because he's still here and still alive but I don't want to destroy him unless he's going to be dangerous.
Can all replies and criticism be kindly please, I'm attached to all of them. Thanks

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Kindly advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 04:47:59 pm »
It sounds as though he is dangerous from what you say. What you decide to do is up to how much you value your health vs his existence. Personally I would cull him

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 05:13:58 pm »
I understand why you care about your animals and why you don't want this one to be destroyed.
It is more usually non-castrated males which become a danger to people and other animals, but it does happen with wethers too - I have experienced it here and the wether in question was killed by the rams which ganged up on him, not a happy state of affairs.
You have been seriously injured by this animal so you have a choice or two.  Get him culled, which you won't want to do, keep him separate from the other animals and from you, which is cruel to the wether, or wait for the next injury to you or your husband - it will happen, be assured.
As it is, the situation with your goats and sheep  could become critical, or it could just be that none of them will be happy and settled again.  There is the possibility that if you get rid of the wether, then another one will step into his shoes and become dominant.
You could have him culled, bite the bullet and eat him (I can hear you say nooooooo!) or give him away.  I am very much against giving away or selling a dangerous animal as you are reneging on your responsibilities and exposing someone else to danger.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 05:48:52 pm »
Once you have been floored by a sheep you realise the power they have, it is not all a ball of fluff!  The issue with animals that have to be watched is sometimes something distracts you and you are not watching, and if you are away or for any reason someone else is in the field they may not watch like you do. Either way it is an accident waiting to happen. There is only one safe option.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:56:42 pm by pharnorth »

AnimalMadinAdrigole

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 05:56:05 pm »
Thanks Me & Fleecewife, you've really confirmed what I thought.
It's in my mind now to let him and one of the others go. Although the other hasn't butted me he does get in my space and won't move away and he's bigger then Fatty.
I was outside for a very short while yesterday & today with my husband and even if they looked at me I felt panic and made my hubby stay beside me till we got indoors so I know deep down that both should go. The other wether is very docile but rarely comes close enough to be touched and the ewe is super lovely.
I wouldn't give Fatty away, he'd be no real use to a farmer and I wouldn't be so irresponsible to give him to someone else....even if I told them what he's been doing and they still wanted him I couldn't live with myself if he hurt someone else and nor would I want anyone to hurt him. I was going to separate the lambs and goats when we move them onto the new land but I don't think I'd ever feel safe around him.
We wouldn't eat him as we're vegetarians but my brother probably would.
My neighbour was going to shoot him rather then him going to an abattoir  but I'm not sure how it works from there or if that's not a good idea. Thank you both  :(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 06:03:58 pm »

As he’s an actual pet, you could bury him on your ground if you wished, I think. 

Otherwise if you’re not interested in the meat, your local hunt will dispose of him for you, or the fallen stock service for your area.  Both will shoot and dispose of the carcass if you want.   

If you want your brother to have the meat then the best and simplest route is to the abattoir.  There are rules about home butchering etc; basically you must kill it yourself and eat it yourself.  And of course you must be competent to kill it humanely. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 06:58:32 pm »
Unless your brother really wants him, I would take him and his buddy to the abbatoir, last time I took 2 male lambs in, (one had bumped me a couple of times, testing me out i think), they offered to sell them for me, good all round, they were dealt with the same morning, a couple of weeks later I received a nice cheque.
Def wouldn't keep him around much longer, get it over with or you will start to think whether you should keep him, not worth the danger.
Hope you are tip top healthy again soon  :)

AnimalMadinAdrigole

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 08:58:51 pm »
Thanks all for your advice.
I feel desperately sad but I know its the right thing to do.
Thanks Peninehillbilly, you've definitely hit the nail on the head for me, I'll get something sorted tomorrow

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 09:55:03 am »
Thanks all for your advice.
I feel desperately sad but I know its the right thing to do.
Thanks Peninehillbilly, you've definitely hit the nail on the head for me, I'll get something sorted tomorrow

I think you're doing the right thing, and it's very obvious how much you care for them. Unfortunately that level of care means making difficult decisions sometimes.
Take care,

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 09:25:27 pm »
Sheep that are fed by hand/humans from a young age often become rather pushy, they don't seem to know about "personal space", so yes the only solution to this is culling, either for meat or via the knacker yard.

Most of us have been there and have the scars (in my case knees having been floored by a tup that became very protective of his ewes all of a sudden), so we know where you are coming from.

If he has been fed on concentrates he may well be quite a fat animal, so the meat may not be what many people would think of as lamb....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS