Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fencing for chicken run  (Read 1895 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Electric fencing for chicken run
« on: February 08, 2019, 07:57:46 pm »
Sorry- me again with more chicken questions...

Wanting to string some fencing round the outside of the run to protect against foxes. Wondered if anyone else has this and what sort of set up you have? (On mains, 12v, or 9v etc). 

Thanks as always.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Electric fencing for chicken run
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:51:22 am »
We have a temporary setup of poultry electric netting around ours, but not high voltage wired- it acts as the earth circuit. Then we have two strands of high voltage set on posts outside at about 9" and 18". We use a 12V Rutland energiser and large leisure batteries- one in use (lasts a month) and one charged ready. Outside those we have decent quality solar garden lights set every 10 metres. So far nothing has made any attempt to get in, but we don't have urban foxes here so it is only energised at night or when we are out.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 08:01:06 am »
We run most of our poultry netting off the mains as it drains batteries quite quickly (depending on how much you have). We have run some from a 12v leisure battery but you have to change and recharge every 7 to 10  days. I know someone who used to use a solar panel to charge the battery but I'm not quite sure about the pros and cons.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 09:40:30 am »
We have a system with a leisure battery, controller and one solar panel and it works fine.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 12:34:36 pm »
Does the solar panel keep the battery charged all the time or do you have to re-charge it from the mains occasionally?

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 01:24:31 pm »
Does the solar panel keep the battery charged all the time or do you have to re-charge it from the mains occasionally?

It is all self-contained,  battery has not needed recharging.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 02:52:50 pm »
Now that does sound useful. I think I need to go to Mole Valley Farmers and look at prices. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS