Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: retrieving old flock number  (Read 2249 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
retrieving old flock number
« on: January 09, 2019, 04:48:10 pm »
Hello  ....I just rent the land out so I don't know anything about sheep.
However my tenant..fairly elderly keeps 50 plus sheep on my fields .He's had the same flock no for 30 odd years.
Last winter his son took over managing the flock and the flock number was transferred into his sons name.
However things did not work out and his son handed back the flock.(Very acrimonious...still not speaking to each other a year later !!) His son does not keep any sheep now.
Now my tenant wants his old flock number back  and he did ring DEFRA...but got nowhere.
He would like his old flock no back so he can use his tags he already has.
I have offered to ring DEFRA for  him and he is coming round to my house tomorrow afternoon and hopefully sort it out with Defra....
Any tips ?
I Jjust get the single farm payment....do I NEED TO GET MY SBI NO/DETAILS/FIELD NO'S UP ON COMPUTER BEFORE I RING THEM

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: retrieving old flock number
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:43:44 am »
Seems no one knows- did you succeed?

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:44:48 pm »
 No because he did not come round but  I will catch him when he comes to feed them tomorrow evening.
The flock number debate started when I told him he should have sold his lambs by now and he said he couldn"t.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:48:13 pm by juliem »

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:08:08 am »
If I understand you correctly then the actual flock number was transferred to son … so I'm guessing only the son can agree to transfer back.  Not likely to happen.    so new number will be necessary … and new tags …. maybe time to find new tenant?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 11:29:23 am »
your probably right about the new tenant....but I only have 12 acres and although well fenced /water  I live in an arable area and theirs not many takers .
So even if the son has no sheep he can't be made to give up the flock number.?
So when the sheep go to auction do the auctioneers cheque electronically the records for the flock no ?
Are new tags expensive ?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 12:53:44 pm »
Confused !  if I read it correctly he has lambs to sell and has the correct tags in stock to put in them  and he has a holding number ? then just tag them and sell them  ?      The only time I use a flock number is to order tags , so he gets a new number and tags for this years lambs ? Farmers sell livestock every day with different  flock/ herd numbers to their own

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 04:24:02 pm »
yes he has lambs from last year that he will probably sell as hoggets .this Spring. So he can still sell them under his old flock number and tags.
And this years lambs he will need a new flock no and new tags ....they are not due to lamb till April..
Thanks everyone for helping me get my head round flock numbers

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 05:27:02 pm »
I still think you should call the authorities. As far as I understand it, a flock number is issued to a person relating to a certain holding number, so this will probably still be the same one if he used to have that flock number on that land.
The guys on the other end are very helpful and knowledgeable about these sort of details.
Good luck

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 12:54:38 am »
I agree with fsmnutter.  The sheep are on your land and the authorities legally need a clear line of communication with the flock owner otherwise you could be involved if there were issues with tag numbers, welfare, outbreaks of disease etc etc Whether it is his original flock number or a new one isreally not important (except perhaps psychologically to him) but what does matter is Defra know who he is, and his flock number is associated with the CPH number relevant to your fields.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 12:29:35 pm »
Ate you able to contact the son and act as a go-between? Maybe son does not realise he has to do the  transfer back ?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 01:49:19 pm »
phone APHA 03000200301 and ask about livestock registration , they are the people who give you flock numbers

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 08:18:43 pm »
replying to Penninehillbilly about acting as a go between....I am trying not to get involved....believe me the relationship has completely broken down.Rented a field to a couple with horses once..they split up and were argueing about who owned the horses.Never again.
The father and son had completely different approaches to keeping sheep.The son..very professional/worming/vacinnating/always on top of flystrike/checked every day.The father more keeping sheep as pets...but he is quite a character and more bidable .ie he does what I say..no youthful arrongance.
Yes will try and phoning that no tomorrow..shep53.If it's defra they are usually very helpful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS