Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is partridge meat meant to smell?  (Read 10039 times)

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
Is partridge meat meant to smell?
« on: December 24, 2018, 06:25:06 pm »
Got a couple of partridges from butcher for doing a three bird roast and they do seem to smell. Is this normal with game bird meat?
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Is partridge meat meant to smell?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 06:37:27 pm »
I've only ever noticed it smelling if it's been damaged when shot then hung for a while
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 09:38:17 pm »
Got a couple of partridges from butcher for doing a three bird roast and they do seem to smell. Is this normal with game bird meat?

All game birds have their unique smell some stronger than others .. I find really fresh cooking / cooked pheasant meat really stinks but that's me . Once it is cold and carved it's quite different .

If they are un prepped :-

If you still have to pull the feathers out it's OK if they fall out easily  they make good maggots for fishing ( freeze them till the new season starts ) , the guts should still be complete inside body cavity & the intestines not ruptured  .
Some folk hang game birds up to a couple of weeks in the barn / game store  on a wire well out of rat range.
 One old boy I used to shoot with reckoned if it's arse was going green it was at it's best  especially ducks .

If they have been prepped  try pushing a finger in the leg or breast meat , it should still be fairly firm and not like pushing your finger into a shredded wheat fibres.

You can always cook them & stink the house out , let thm cool then try eating a sliver ,  if it's OK great . They go well with thick cut well drained " game chips , duchess potato , sprouts & gravy made from the juices .

If not you've learn something and need to get that big tin of Luncheon meat opened . :roflanim:
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 07:45:36 am »
I tend to cook it unless it smells revolting. I read a book about 10years ago, memoirs of a country house cook. She described letting game get really high before cooking. This made me a lot more open to slightly off or strange smelling meat.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 10:20:33 am »
I tend to cook it unless it smells revolting. I read a book about 10years ago, memoirs of a country house cook. She described letting game get really high before cooking. This made me a lot more open to slightly off or strange smelling meat.
and then when it smells it becomes a curry

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 08:08:03 pm »
told a guy went to a shoot got 2 birds for old man
put in boot 3 weeks later guy came round asking about
birds he got them out they stunk guy took birds
next time he sees him he said wear best he as ever had

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS