NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Payback timescales for solar  (Read 306 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Payback timescales for solar
« on: November 04, 2018, 03:18:08 pm »
So we've just done the price comparison thingy to see how much our bill is  going to change now that our fixed tarrif is running out and our bill is going to be going up  to £65 a month!

I've been interested in solar electric power forages and was just wondering roughly what the payback period is like for solar. I understand there are a lot of variables involved such as size or system, weather and initial costs but trying to get a starting figure for the initial costs is a nightmare to even start to work things out.

I gather a standard system is 4Kw? I have a SW facing roof which has an angle between 30 and 45 degrees of more than 10m square. There are no trees or shade on the roof during normal daylight hours. Is a 4Kw system ok or could i get smaller/bigger one?

Sorry if this all seems a bit basic or disjointed but, the whole thing has got me a bit confused when i've read things on the net about it.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!
Voss Electric Fence

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Payback timescales for solar
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 07:00:24 pm »
There should be a few companies about that will give you a quote and will also give you their forecasts on pay back time. 4kw is fine for a normal household we went for 7.5 and put it on the barn roof. Payback time we estimated at 9 years. So it was an excellent pre retirement investment.  Of course some grumble tariffs are lower than they were, but they somewhat mirror the installation costs so as hardware has got cheaper, tariffs have reduced.  Anyway, it is somewhat irrelevant that someone may have got a better deal a decade ago, it is more relevant to consider if it is a good deal now.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 10:36:10 am »
Our roof is orientated the same as yours. We paid £2300 for our 16 panel 4KW hr system , according to the figures worked out by the power wall sales man using on line  rates of generation he reckoned our system had an overall out put that was 18 % above the average for the area ( we clean the panels on the bungalow with de ionized water & a spray of one squeeze per gallon soapy fairy liquid water  twice a year )
 Going by his figures we have paid for the system already  about 20 months earlier than the estimated payback period  when we took the decision to install it at the 17 .5 p FIT.
 Having our dish washer , dryer , washing machine and car charger on their integral time clocks & using manual over rides has allowed us to  take maximum advantage of the whole set up .
  Some folks reccommend using more panels to take advantage of low energy generating conditions .. One guy I know has 20 panels tied down to a 4 KW hr  inverter by what he's told me it seems  his average fullfilled generation is way higher than mine .
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:25:33 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 01:06:53 pm »
I read recently that as of April next year new systems will still feed into the grid but there will be no payment back. Anyone know if this is correct?
Also if you are off grid what happens to the excess electricity produced? Never was any good at technical  ::)

solar PV done!

Started by northfifeduckling

Replies: 6
Views: 3099
Last post October 20, 2011, 12:30:00 am
by Plantoid
Solar Panels?

Started by Lizmar

Replies: 3
Views: 2466
Last post July 19, 2009, 09:01:50 pm
by cmorrell
Solar panels

Started by bucketman

Replies: 31
Views: 10636
Last post May 09, 2011, 09:58:45 pm
by Dan
Solar panels 2

Started by bucketman

Replies: 24
Views: 10217
Last post September 09, 2011, 06:48:43 pm
by egglady
Solar PV Production

Started by Big Light

Replies: 285
Views: 73007
Last post July 27, 2018, 11:23:47 pm
by cloddopper

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Assist Animal Care Services Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2018. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS