Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Running a hose off an IBC  (Read 6970 times)

Gornoeth

• Joined May 2019
Running a hose off an IBC
« on: July 19, 2019, 02:04:24 pm »
Hi folks,

We have an IBC linked to drain pipes to harvest rain water mainly for watering the veg patch.
As much as I enjoy walking back and forth with a watering can has anyone managed to run a hose pipe off one?

I can get an IBC located about 3m off the ground, would that give enough head to run a hose? Any other options?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Running a hose off an IBC
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 02:54:47 pm »
Yes it should do, as long as the hose length isn't excessive, but it will be quite a gentle flow, similar to what you'll get from a watering can rose.

Is the IBC already at 3m elevation, or is it near anywhere you can get 3m below it?  If so, you could test it first by setting up a syphon, since the flow will be pretty similar.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 03:02:40 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dav275

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • www.woodwallart.co.uk
    • WoodWallArt
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 04:14:43 pm »
Our IBC is about 2m above our polytunnel.  Works adequately for us.  Should think 3m would be fine.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 06:51:32 am »
We use a water button, if you have electric. I have also seen a post elsewhere of someone using a cordless drill with a small pump on the end

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 01:17:20 pm »
Womble-how do you catch rain water off your tunnel if it is 2 m above your tunnel?

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 03:46:58 pm »
That should have read water butt pump

Dav275

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • www.woodwallart.co.uk
    • WoodWallArt
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 06:29:02 pm »
Terry T  - If you meant me,   we don't.   

The IBC collects water from  a flat roof built over it.  Feeds pipe down to  polytunnel for watering in and around tunnel.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 09:52:24 am »
Thanks Dav245.
We’ve just picked up a couple of IBCs which I want to use to run a soaker hose. Collecting off the polytunnel is tricky and seems to collect lots of debris and blocks regularly. We are now trying to run it down off our bungalow roof. Alternative ideas are really handy.

Dav275

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • www.woodwallart.co.uk
    • WoodWallArt
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 11:38:11 am »
Crude, but it works.

Gornoeth

• Joined May 2019
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 09:53:57 am »
Thanks [member=27141]DavidandCollette[/member] that looks like a good option, IBC is catching rain off our barn roof and the barn has electrics so easy enough to set up. Definitely easier than getting the IBC up to 3m :)

There is 5-15m between the IBC and the raised beds and then polytunnel. I'll test it still but I guess that distance is going to make just running off the IBC tricky.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 10:29:40 am »
We collect rainwater off our roof and find that leaves and seeds come with it. We fix plastic potato sacks to the downpipes with exterior self-adhesive tape- works well as a filter, but needs to be checked regularly.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 01:22:19 pm »
gornoeth - our water butt pump easily did 12 metres

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 12:51:32 pm »
I haven't done it off an ibc but 2 250L barrels that i joined together. I used a 15mm tank connector with 15mm pipe, tap and 90° pipe connector. The hose i have threads nicely onto the 15mm pipe and waters the beds quite nicely but not a lot of pressure.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 12:27:11 am »
I'm sure I used to know what IBC means, but if it's a 1000 litre black plastic barrel, that is what we use.  each of our large buildings has rones with a barrel to collect the water.  This then travels by gravity down to a main collecting barrel, or to the sheep water troughs.  Water is then pumped back up usng an electric pump, to the barrel at the polytunnel.  The barrel is raised about 1 metre above the ground, on a breeze block plinth.  The hose is connected to a tap at the bottom of the barrel.  3 metres would be better, as the pressure decreases as the barrel empties. I used to run 'leaky pipe' irrigation from this, but after the first year the leaky hoses blocked with algae.  The given way to clear this is with a high pressure squirt of water through the hose, but without the high pressure it didn't work.  I suppose we could connect the pressure washer to it.  I now use a normal hose run off this barrel, but with such a low head the pressure is very gentle, so watering can take a while.  We also run a hose from another barrel higher up the slope, which has far better pressure.  I suppose we could manage with just that, except in dry years when we need all 4 collecting barrels.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS