Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: where can I get a Christmas tree and wreath?  (Read 4505 times)

Sandy

where can I get a Christmas tree and wreath?
« on: September 30, 2010, 08:53:47 pm »
A while to go yet but we are getting married in the house this Christmas and I usualy make decorations and love collecting things but, I have a fair bit to do and want the house extra special as for the first time in ages all three daughters and families will be together, the eldest comming from Austraila. I want a large real tree, we bought one from B&Q or somehwere similar last year, it looked nice but soon dropped and this year the heating will be higher due to all the babies staying so, I need somwhere where I can get a big tree from but not as expensive as the DIY and garden stores, also I want a nice wreath with berries, cones etc...nearish to me in Central Scotland, any ideas?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: where can I get a Christmas tree and wreath?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:01:54 pm »
I read the title and was going to say "make a wreath" ... but of course you'll likely be abit busy  ;)
are you having wedding flowers? ask the florist to make a wreath to match... or have mini wreathes instead of flowers?

cant help you with central scotland sellers though ::)
Little Blue

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:16:26 pm »
I WIll spend ages hunting greenery, but have too much to do, I maybe will as we are only marrrying in the house with family and friends so nothing formal like wedding flowers, in fact I want some Mistletoe to carry with a tartan ribbon!!!! I hall hunt out stuff then!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 08:14:06 am »
There's a good place just off the main road between Doune and Dunblane - we always got our trees there. Get a Noble Fir if you can - keeps its needles well. Or hire one from David and Gillian!

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:24:20 am »
Hire a Tree?, I suppose you could if it came in a pot but I want a tall one and that would be a heavy pot to transport or carry. I rescued a living Christmas tree from the tip and its growing nicely but no where near tall enough.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 10:28:36 am »
I agree that a tree in a pot with pleanty of water is the way to keep the needles on despite the heating. You can buy ( from the garden centre) or make a round board with wheels on so you could keep your potted tree outside as long as poss and wheel it in at the last min.

The cheepest option would be to order the size you want from a tree nursery and it would come with a root ball. Then you would pot it up when it arrived. These trees are dug up to order and Autumn is usually the best time so you may need to order it now. You could then plant the tree as a symbolic reminder of your day.

Could you involve the girls in your family in making the wreaths? It could be an alternative to a hen night and make them more significant as well as sharing your skills?

Asking your grocer to pick up a nice big bunch of mistletoe from the fruit market will be cheaper than getting it from the florist and they may even give you it as a wedding gift.

Ether way I hope you have a fantastic day,

Buffy

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 11:24:19 am »
I did think about trawling the pot outside the front door after Christmas, the photo in the aviator pic is the tiny fir type tree outside our front door in a pot, its going dead in places so needs replacing and we do have the one outside in a pot that I was going to swap it with. In our back garden when we moved were 2 large Christmas trees but very sparce, I brought one in the first year but the planter was split so ended up chopping the roots off and putting it into a holder, the one thats left is even sparcer. I shall give that some thought as I agree, it would be a nice reminder but we already have an oversized tree in the garden that needs chopping so not keen on planting in the soil, I remember my dad doing that one year and the tree ended up larger than the house!!! I love the idea of making the wreath but the famiy are not up until the day before Christmas eve, so I think I WILL make one myself, a mixture of Christmas and wedding together. THanks

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 03:30:37 pm »
I WIll spend ages hunting greenery, but have too much to do, I maybe will as we are only marrrying in the house with family and friends so nothing formal like wedding flowers, in fact I want some Mistletoe to carry with a tartan ribbon!!!! I hall hunt out stuff then!!!

Thats lovely  :love:
If i get married id love a christmas wedding  :love: got my fingers crossed this year i may get asked  ???  ;)
It a shame you dont live near me as my nextdoor neighbours make loads of them every year and sells them to all th local garden centres and also grows and sells xmas trees  ::)
Good luck with organising it all , they will be about evrywhee soon  ;) xxx

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 08:35:40 pm »
Make a couple of chocolate wreaths (Quality street). They are lovely and colourful and the kids love them.

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 09:08:10 pm »
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, so cheap too at the moment but I am on a diet....keep wanting to buy some as they are on offer every where!!

c.m.c

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 11:04:11 pm »
hi  i am near alloa and i make holly wreaths and sell christmas trees and i deliver about 10 wreaths to clackmannan if thats any help get back and i will give you my number

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 11:18:53 pm »
If you can get a tree direct from the grower and get them to cut it down specially for you, rather than having one ready cut.  Then what I usually do is choose a coolish place in the house, saw a builders type blue barrel in half, and cover with silver foil. Put in the tree and wedge round with blocks / bricks for weight,  and cut off the lower branches so it is sitting on the barrel rim..Tie the tree back to a hook you have fixed in say a door frame for extra "no falling over security" use ties in two directions if necessary.  Top up the barrel with water and plenty of "flower food"

I keep a pump up sprayer/mister handy, and spray it with moisture whenever I can, and make sure the barrel dosen't run out of water.  I usually have a Nordman Fir as it is nice a thick, and I used to put it up just before 1st Dec, and it did last til 12th night but only just.

For wreaths I use those "florapack"type bases and again keep them watered and sprayed.  Ivy in berry (lots in the hedgerows) with some variagated ivy and cones etc looks good, and some really nice wide, wired ribbon, in red, or maybe tartan would be good for you.

Have a lovely happy time - Congratulations  :bouquet:

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS