Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chicken eggs not forming right  (Read 2974 times)

dubie

• Joined Apr 2010
chicken eggs not forming right
« on: September 27, 2010, 09:56:04 pm »
my chickens have been layin fine for 2 years now but 6 of them over the last few weeks their eggs have grown weeker and weeker and now are turning out like their first eggs they are free range but share the 3 acres + (being chickens they just wonder) with  2 horses, 1 pig and 3 sheep what should i do 

HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
Re: chicken eggs not forming right
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:04:49 pm »
Add some oyster shell grit to the layers mash and mix it with water.  Any type of grit really does.  But I use the oyster shell. 
Good Luck Helen

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:15:06 am »
Are they going into their moult.  If so the shells will often get quite weak, and even some soft shells, then off lay a bit, then more poor shells then hopefully back to normal.  But watch that they dont develop any egg eating habits >:(

All the best
Sue :)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

andy harris

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 06:53:43 am »
I get that sometimes i just cook some egg shells for 20 mins crush them up and give it to my hens it seems to do the trick.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 07:56:42 am »
Usually a sign of low calcium level, so within reason feed more calcium.

Other than giving them grit, which they may not take or transfer to the shell or feather production, give them a porrage made with milk or water and milk mix in the drinker for a few days just to give them a boost.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

dubie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 10:26:15 pm »
Thanks for ya help i will folloow your advise  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS